• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back into B/P with a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarTay6

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Found an earlier thread on the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer on here, but it was from 2012- so thought I'd restart a thread, rather than revive that discussion.
New member here, just posted in the intro thread- but wanted to share my latest acquisition from yesterday- that officially gets me back into the B/P world- a new-in-the-box Euroarms Rogers & Spencer. Also a new-in-the-box Thompson Center Patriot single shot pistol.
The Euroarms R&S was a pistol that I always wanted from the early '70's, when I first learned of it. Never did end up getting one... then when I got back into shooting, I learned Euroarms had gone out of business... disappointing news to me.
So when I found this one yesterday, it didn't take me long to make the decision!!
London Gray finish, btw...
Wes

I have one and its not one of my favorites. It seems like a nice heavy duty well built gun and it has some design parts that are great but the killer for me is tearing it down. If you want to get into and tear it down to the action parts unscreweing the frame sucks. Thats the only deal breaker for me ive stop shooting mine because the Remington is so much easier to tear down. The Colt is slightly more work then the Remington but still fairly managable.

I agree, the R&S is difficult to take apart completely.

That said, I don't think totally taking a cap and ball pistol is needed after shooting it as long as a good gun oil is used to keep the lockwork in the receiver lubed.

Very little if any black powder fouling will get down into the working parts except perhaps thru the hole the cylinder hand passes thru.

Just removing the cylinder and cylinder pin and giving the exposed surfaces and the bore a good cleaning will keep a R&S shooting for years.

Taking an R&S apart and re-assembling is easy to do. Some have a problem with the main-spring when re-assembling. I put it in the grip frame assembly and take a dowel between spring and backside of frame. Set the dowel so spring is in assembled position and set screws in place. Remove the dowel by moving it forward. The spring will rest on the hammer and you can pull the dowel out.

Thanks for the welcome- and the info, guys! Much appreciated!
I think the next thing I'm going to be looking for is a very good underhammer match pistol...
Wes

Is there any videos of this? I dont want to get rid of mine but i hate shooting it because of the trouble i have taking it apart to clean.

I TRY not to get the action dirty on all my guns. If i can get away with just cleaning the barrel and cylinder i try but i get powder blast on the cylinder pin and i get cap blast all over the hammer and around the frame around the hammer.

Now i read the cap fouling is as corrosive as the worst powders so i try not to leave any of that hanging around either.

I don't know where you've read that cap fouling is corrosive.

Yes, during WW II and earlier some military primers used corrosive fulminates but I seriously doubt that any percussion cap made after 1970 contains even a trace of those compounds.

Non corrosive primers have been used commercially sense the 1920's.

Latest posts

Back