• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back action lock build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm starting to research a back action build. One option is the rifle from the "Indian Gift" thread with a bolster. Maybe something like an early Remington back action or hardware rifle with a drum.

does anyone supply long gun kit? Or maybe a detailed plan, drawings, either separate or in books?

May I ask about building and designing back action rifles?

The backaction lock like the one used on my Pedersoli Tryon shown below was very popular in the 1840-50 time period so, posts about them are welcome on the MLF.

tryon-001A, on Flickr

L&R offers a percussion back action lock made in both right and left hand.
http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/locks/lr-locks/

https://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?o...on-model-700-800&catid=38:lar-locks&Itemid=61

Several stock making companies like Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Company offer their semi-finished stocks without the lock mortise.
You do have to contact them by phone and tell them what you don't want the lock mortise cut.

That allows the builder to locate and inlet the lock of their choice.
The only problem with this is most of the stocks they offer are styled for the more normal front action style locks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what you invision, but a full stock longrifle can be made up with a back action lock and still be hc/pc for that circa 1840 period. Maybe earlier as the back action lock made its appearance around 1825.

You've seen the back action trade rifle with full stock in another thread. There is a pic of Joe Meeks full stock rifle in a thread up in the flintlock group about half stock GPR flinter being correct for something or other. I just know Meeks never used anything that wasn't hc/pc.

Google the Ohio Longrifle Collectors and start reading their newsletters from the beginning. It's my recollection there is mention in one of full stocked rifles being made with back action locks.

In the swirl of things a full stock rifle with back action look just had to be made. Outside the military there have never been any ridged rules of rifle making.

Be careful using one of these locks with a drum. The lock does not provide support like a regular sidelock does. TOW offers a patent breech that looks similar to a drum but is much stronger.

Hi Bob,
The lock on the "gift" rifle likely is the same lock George Lovell designed for British Ordnance in the 1830s. It is a strong, sturdy lock and he also designed a patent breech to use with it. They were first used on the initial model of the Brunswick rifle. If you are patient, The Rifle Shoppe sells parts for that lock and the breech. The L&R back action lock readily available today is weak and whimpy.

dave

Back