• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

attach antler knife handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing he has to pay attention to is the angle in the front oart of the of the antler that meets the guard.It could be flat up down and to either side and the angle of the handle to the knife guard could leave him with gaps top or bottom..

I think I see what you mean, if I understand, the way I take care of that is a large enough hole to adjust position to some degree. sometimes the tang must be bent if the antler has a lot of curve. I also taper the tang profile somewhat.

That's pretty much what I do,unless the antler is pretty straight then I drill to a tight fit and file the front of the antler to fit tight,real tight up against the guard..

If the antler has more curve than how I invisioned the knife as as completed product,I straiten the antler prior to drilling it (otherwise it might split) by boiling it for 20 minutes to half an hour then place it in my vise to straighten it to my liking...

This is the latest antler grip I've done. Guard is tight fitted with no visible gap, no solder. When using a ferrule such as this, you can allow it to hang over the end of the antler a tad, then all you have to true up is the ferrule.
pennyknife260_640x480.jpg
[/img]
pennyknife240_640x480.jpg
[/img]

That face on the butt of the knife, lends new meaning to butt ugly! :rotf: :rotf:
Kinda reminds me of that face my Mother in Law used to make at me, when she wasn't happy with me! :( :rotf: :rotf: :grin:
Thanks for the idea Rick!
You ever do one of those things that every fiber in your body was screaming this is a bad idea!
I did yesterday. I cut down the knife to prepare it for antler handle. Then started to work down the guard to meet new handle. In the process the brass guard got meesed up. So after fileing, and sanding decided to buff out on buffing wheel well that went well. While buffing guard got to wondering if I could manage to buff the blade.
Short answer is NO, not safely anyway. I didn't lose finger, but cut deep enough I will not try that again!!!!!!!!! :shake:

There is a learning curve to learning how to buff a knife blade on a buffing wheel, and it usually involves a few cuts. Don't quit now. You will figure it out. A couple of years ago, a shop donated some knives to our local Chapter of Pheasants Forever, because they had gotten some rust on the blades. I was stopping by a client's factory anyway, and I asked to use his buffer to take off the rust. He asked me if I had any experience using a buffing wheel, and I just smiled and said," Yes, many hours worth." We went back into his shop, and he stood by me while I used the buffing wheel. It became very apparent in short order that I knew what I was doing just by the way I held the knife blade in my two hands. I quickly buffed out the rust on the two knives, even to his satisfaction, and when I finished, he told me I could have a job on his factory floor anytime. The other workers got a kick out of seeing the company's lawyer working over that buffing wheel. As usual, the stereotype of a lawyer is someone who can't tie his own shoelaces!

Latest posts

Back