• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Asking for advice -Lyman TR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetonmtns

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been a member for several years and read more than post. I've had several flint muzzleloaders (my first firearm acquisition in 1974 was a Kentucky flinter).

I want a good woods flinter rifle for plinking. I can get a Lyman Trade Rifle for under $300 shipped.

Can the folks here give me the downside for buying this rifle? I appreciate the constructive criticism.

I heard they had bad or heavy triggers on most of them. Then I got one and I'll say the trigger on it is very very nice. Clean an crisp good let off. I know of no problems with that rifle as a good shooter.Only thing is I'm used to set triggers but this one is nice. Looking to make the conversion to a flinter if it is not to much of a problem.
Yea I got bit by the flint and just have to have more of them.
Fox :hatsoff:

As your looking for a downside to the TR I guess I'll have to say it is a little lighter than the Great Plains Rifle. That will result in it giving a little more "kick" than the GPR would with the same load.

Many hunters feel that this downside is totally offset by the fact that its lighter weight makes carrying it for long distances while hunting noticeably easier.

The Trade Rifle is basically a T/C Hawken clone, equal if not better quality for half the price. Is that a "downside"? T/C probably thinks so. :haha:

I am very happy with mine, well made, accurate, lock sparks well, no downside here!

Lyman makes a great product. I have two GPRs that are very reliable. As Joe said, they are similar to the T/C. Though I think the stock of the Trade Rifle is shaped better. The only downside is that you don't already have it! :rotf:

Teton---I really like my 54 caliber Trade Flintlock and for the price it is a great buy. It shoots terrific at 50 yards making ragged holes all day long. You can't ask for better accuracy. Some guys spend thousands to get that.

I say no downside unless you want to impress someone with a gun that is historically correct... since that is NOT what you are lloking to do, I say NO downsides. Make Smoke! Just make sure you use REAL Black Powder!!! hahahaha

I've recently (last month) acquired a new-to-me Lyman TR, and... the gun is just fantastic.

You'd be nuts not to get one. This is my first flintlock, and the thing is just great fun. You can't go wrong!

BCon---Isn't that the truth??!!!! I agree---Lyman Trade is a terrific black powder gun. My 54 cal flintlock is so accurate with round ball I must be doing something wrong because all the experts say the twist is way too fast to acheive round ball accuracy!!! I love it when I do it all wrong and get superb real life results... :wink:

Truly, the Lyman Trade Flintlick is one of the best buys in the world of black powder guns.

DO IT.....you won't regret it. I have an assortment of GPR's both Flint and Percussion, .50s and .54s. and only 1 Trade in percussion.....for now. I am looking for a flinter in a .54 for a new purchase. All are great shooters. Develope your own load for that rifle and ROCK ON and never look back.

Grey Hawk

Back