• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are "Super Flints" really super?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, we HAD to have been watching the same tyros. This is a scenario that occurs with too much frequency. I just like the technology of a bygone era, same as you. I don't reenact and using the old technology as-is, is all I really care about. Take that away and one may as well go modern with cartridges and scopes.

There is nothing unique about these guys shooting their idea of a MLER at the range. I see the same people missing the targets shooting their M-15 rifles with the 30 rd. clips. Their stance is wrong, they don't know how to properly mount the rifle to their shoulder, nor how to hold it with their two hands. Who knows what kind of ammo they are shooting? Nor whether that rifle's sights have been properly adjusted to "zero" that brand and type of ammo in that rifle? They don't or won't, watch other shooters, who do know what they are doing( Much better than me, BTW)to learn from them, nor do they ask questions of modern rifle shooters, or even range officers, when they can't even hit the paper!

Most of us don't offer help to strangers who need it, but won't ask for help, as offering help is often taken as a personal attack on a man's masculinity, and is the quickest way to get into a fight we know! I have even seen this at schools, where you pay big money to learn from experts how to shoot guns better. Men, in particular, simply will NOT ask for help, even when they are failing miserably. I have never been that insecure about my masculinity, or so secure in my belief that I can do ANYTHING, that I have hesitated a New York Minute to ask a " dumb" question when I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have even gone so far as to ask other shooters to shoot my gun and ammo, to prove its me, and not the gun. ( No, it was the gun after all on that occasion!) :thumbsup:

When I clean my ceramic sharpening stone or the sticks for that matter, I use a plain 'ol pink pencil eraser.

The black stuff comes off just like the graphite from a pencil. Even better then off paper.

Interesting. :hmm: I use Liquid Wrench, or a gun lead solvent to clean ceramics, and stones, wiping the surfaces with paper toweling. :thumbsup: Inspection of the surfaces with a magnifying glass indicates I get almost all the steel bits out of these abrasive stones, or ceramics. A second application usually gets the rest out, too. I would not have thought a gum eraser would pull the steel out of the pores of these materials.( ceramics and natural stones).

I had one of those half soles on my flintlock I built in 1970. AWSOME spark. Finally wore it out, tore it off, and threw it away. Dad knapps arrowheads and I get his scraps. I have some mighty funky flints from time to time but they work just fine and are FREE.
JL

I have the Duraflints from the 1990's. They worked well until they polished the frizzen smooth, and then they quit sparking.

Overall, they were a big disappointment. I use the English black and French amber with much success.

I believe they were more of a gimmick than anything else.

Sorry. That was pretty weak. But really, I've had the same Tom Fuller flint in the jaws for the last 5 or 6 trips to the range. It still looks good and sparks great. No misfires. When it finally gives up I have plenty of spares. Got em from TOTW. I think my lack of misfires is also due to the huge Jaeger lock and healthy sized touch hole.

Boy I learn something every day. I had never heard about the depleted uranium deal. In support of the comment about asking questions of folks at the range I can say I've learned a lot that way myself.

Latest posts

Back