• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are all CVA Synthetic Stocks Hollow?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Are all CVA muzzle-loading rifles having synthetic rear/butt stocks hollow?

How about all other make/model rifle synthetic stocks, are most/all rear synthetic stocks hollow as well?

In other words, upon removing the CVA Wolf muzzle-loader rear butt plate, the CVA rear stock is very hollow, with only a thin layer of ABS plastic material forming the rear stock.

Last question, rifles having a hollow stock, why not make some use of the space with an easily removable butt plate, for storing field tools required by the rifle? But then again, this maybe just a nutty idea, but am en-route for the patent office.

(I am somewhat aware the more historic/traditional muzzle-loaders did have places for field tools, but more focused upon more recently popular muzzle-loaders such as the CVA.)

Last edited:
During sometime during the beginning of January 2024, I questioned and was confirmed by BPA Outdoors customer service (eg. CVA brand owner), all of their current (and likely past) muzzle-loading rifles all have hollow plastic stocks. Mainly focusing specifically with the main/rear stock, as this was the part of the rifle stock having the most hollow content, when comparing ratio of mass to hollow content.

Are all CVA muzzle-loading rifles having synthetic rear/butt stocks hollow?

How about all other make/model rifle synthetic stocks, are most/all rear synthetic stocks hollow as well?

In other words, upon removing the CVA Wolf muzzle-loader rear butt plate, the CVA rear stock is very hollow, with only a thin layer of ABS plastic material forming the rear stock.

Last question, rifles having a hollow stock, why not make some use of the space with an easily removable butt plate, for storing field tools required by the rifle? But then again, this maybe just a nutty idea, but am en-route for the patent office.

(I am somewhat aware the more historic/traditional muzzle-loaders did have places for field tools, but more focused upon more recently popular muzzle-loaders such as the CVA.)

If anything I'd add some weight to the back of mine - my 2 CVA percussions are very front-heavy.

As for storage, possible good idea, but I gotta say that on my various modern things that have buttstock or pistol grip storage the only ones I've ever used have been the speed-feed stock on my shotgun to hold a couple of flares (which eventually got removed and the stock sold, so not sure why I even put them there to start with) and the pistol grips on my NFA lowers to hold a copy of the NFA paperwork.

On the topic of storage within the stock, seems to be quite common with muzzle-loaders having stocks with storage space. (eg. small cleaning and measuring tools) For any rim fired or center fired pistols and rifles, I've never had a need for storage. (eg. Kinda of like "shoot and go", similar to "click and play" operating system interface.)

I’ve used modeling clay wrapped in zip-lock bags or bread bags to good effect in hollow stocks.

Back