• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any particular goals for 2012 fall Hunting season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spend more time in the woods like I used to. Hunt squirrels with My .32, .45, and my .58. Also eat my first squirrel stew. Always fried them and made gravy so gonna try something new. God willing I will.

Supercracker said:
Break my pig jinx!!!

When I hunted trad archery only I killed pigs on a fairly regular basis. Since I started hunting with MLs I haven't been able to connect once! Blown a bunch of stalks and missed some shots but no ham on the stick!

This year I want to try to take the Gheenoe back to the islands in the swamp and do some 3 or 4 day long primitive hunts. That should help.

Shane, if you don't call me & let me join you for at least one of those hunts I'ma be madder'n a badger in a blender! That sounds like my idea of the perfect long weekend!

Oh, I'd really like to christen my .54 Anderson Longrifle, my English-ish sporter (to be completed...) & the stubby Frankenrifle.
I don't mind with what; Deer, pigs, skwerl, they all taste good to me!

Also, I'd LOVE to get a nice buck in Indiana. I'm heading up there sometime in October (RUT!) & hope to see a proper big deer!

robtattoo said:
Shane, if you don't call me & let me join you for at least one of those hunts I'ma be madder'n a badger in a blender! That sounds like my idea of the perfect long weekend!

bring yer big butt on down. Although I think between me, you and Chris we need to be mindful of the max payload on the CSS Quantrill.

I'll bring my canoe. Either that or we can just float down on Chris......

I'm 46# lighter than our last meetup too!

Goals. Yep. Have a new 16 gauge fowler from Mike Brooks that I want to take out into the upland as much as possible. I have shot some backyard clays with it and results are promising.
Pete

Let me know if you see a proper big deer. About 4 years ago we started the "One Buck a Year" rule. So, if you took a buck during archery, you couldn't take one in any of the other seasons. The idea was to give bucks a chance to mature and equal bigger bucks. I haven't noticed that yet. Seems most of the bucks I see are still in the 18-24month range of age.

Strictly bp , even through regular rifle . Was suppose to last yr but I cheated when it came time for our four day canoe in and camp hunt . This yr ill bring the renagade . I'll probably get razed , but that's cool .
Cynthialee , I'm plagued with coyote also . They wake me three or four nights a wk . Couple of yrs ago I had a den of them in back of the house I had to - let's say eradicate .

Back in Ga. coyotes were as thick as squirrels, or so it seemed. We tended to see them everywhere and they were bold, too. I finally shot one (cf rifle) years ago while deer hunting but could have killed a bunch. Saw a good many bobcats (shot a few with MLs) and always seemed to have been around an unnumbered array foxes. Never shot the foxes since I didn't need one and really didn't know what I'd do with one, anyway. Maybe this season I'll score some varmints along with deer.

Just to get away from the every day stuff and hunt as much game as I can with my Fowler and .45 flinter. I would like to shoot a fall turkey with my .62 and fill my freezer with deer and squirrel :grin:

goals,i look forward to spending time out with my cousins and friends! i like the young guys should hang out with old guys,THEY CAN DRAG YOUR DEER FOR YA!!!!!!!! we have a great time! whackm' & packm'

Sept 1st Dove opener is my favorite hunting day. Looks like this year I'll have both of my daughters, one son-in-law, my son and daughter-in-law with me. I'll shoot my 10ga double and let the kids back me up with all of their CF firepower. :grin:

GW

Im working on a deal right now for a CVA 12 guage double that I would love to smoke up the turkey woods with come Oct 1st.(I would like to get that done with one of my home made scratch box calls.) Also hoping to do a couple of over night floats on the river with squirrl, turkey, and smallmouth bass on the coals 1 or more nights. Then come Nov. I would love to see my wife take a deer, its been two years for her.Im applied for a limited black powder whitetail hunt on one of the NWR in my home state. If Im drawn will be allowed two extra deer that does not count toward my season limit. Get my son into the woods each chance I get so as to contiue building that bond that I want to last a life time. All in all just want to take in all of creation each chance I get and put as much meat in the larder as possable while having fun doing it.

Reading through all these good posts has got me even more fired up for hunting season...seems like it's taking forever getting here too !!

first and foremost watch my son take his first deer!!!

second, put 2 or 3 deer in the freezer with the old 45 Penn

third, help my 30 year old friend shoot his first deer.

really cant wait, it's so exciting to see my son just pumped to go hunting, he has a paper chain calendar already lol

Supercracker said:
robtattoo said:

bring yer big butt on down. Although I think between me, you and Chris we need to be mindful of the max payload on the CSS Quantrill.

I would buy lunch if ya'll let me take pictures of THAT!! Well, ok I might not could afford it but it would be fun anyhow!!

I guess I'd finally like to get some more float trips done. Been years since I was able to do any hunting that way.

Back