• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any difference in point of impact when using different powders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smo said:
Twisted, would you mind running your program for a .530 ball at 1400 FPS. Sighted at 100 yards. Thanks

I would think it would be way high at 50 and low at 25 as well....
I ran it. Need to know the height of your sight, so I used the average for ML guns, .85".

25 = +1.9
50 = +3.1
75 = +2.6
100 = 0
125 = -5
150 = -12.7

Spence

Thanks you Sir :hatsoff:

Not as bad as I thought the numbers would look with that light charge.

I've got a .54.

What powder charge gives you 1400 FPS?

Just trying to translate the numbers to my rifle.

Thanks!

smo said:
If you google Goex Load Chart it will give you the numbers. :hatsoff:
Pay attention to barrel length if they have that info available.

Spence

Does not give the barrel length .

Why would that matter? Longer barrel longer burn time?

:idunno:

For the same powder charge longer barrels give a little higher velocity. Not a huge deal for ordinary shooting. Need higher velocity in a shorter barrel? A little more powder will do it.

The Lyman Black Powder Handbook 1975, .535 ball, 70 grains of 3F gives 1375 fps in a 28" barrel, 1527 fps in a 43" one.

Spence

smo said:
Not as bad as I thought the numbers would look with that light charge.
With the ball 1.9" above line of sight at 25 yards with the gun sighted in for 100 yards, you know it crossed line of sight pretty close to the muzzle.

For a gun sighted in for 75-100 yards, the lower the velocity the loopier the trajectory, and the loopier the trajectory the closer to the muzzle the ball crosses line of sight near the muzzle.

There are only 2 times when the gun will hit exactly where your aim, exactly on the sights, where the ball crosses line of sight going up and where it crosses it going down. Another way of saying that is that every gun is sighted in, zeroed, at those two places. The one near the muzzle is called the Near Zero (NZ), the one at sighted-in range is Far Zero (FZ).

if the gun is sighted in for 75-100 yards, with average hunting charges the NZ will be 10-15 yards, but if you shoot a pretty fast ball it will be out further. If the gun is sighted in for 50 yards or less, then the NZ will also be out further even with slower charges.

It can be real handy to know where the Near Zero is. I shot the head off a very tasty grouse with a heavily loaded .54 once upon a time, because I knew my NZ was 10 yards.

Spence

hanshi said:
I've also found that revolver/pistol bullets do the opposite by striking lower as velocity increases.

Rifles are sighted with the muzzle pointed up towards the line of sight. Handguns are sighted with the muzzle pointing downward, below the line of sight. This is to allow for the rapid rise of the handgun barrel in recoil. The, faster bullet exits the barrel before the barrel has risen as high in recoil, thus the faster bullet strikes lower on the target.

Richard/Grumpa

Take a look at this slow motion video, 73,000 frames per second, and notice the very long delay between the bullet's exiting the muzzle and the barrel beginning to rise even a little. MV is 1200 fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9apnbI6GA

I used to shoot a lot of [censored] pistol, most of it pipsqueak target loads but some of it real hellers, and I never changed my sight picture between the two. Based on that experience and on several slow motion videos I've watched on the web, I have serious doubts the gun ever starts to rise before the bullet leaves the muzzle.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi smo,

I ran your .53 cal and it was only under level up to 6 yards. Then it was 2.9" high at 25-yds., 4.3" high at 50-yds, about 3.5" high at 75-yds (gives 74 and 76-yd. info), Point Blank at 100-yds as requested and then drops an inch at 105-yds and 2.2" at 110-yds. So any shot between 96-yds and 105-yds is going to impact within 1" of point of aim. I would suggest that's closer than most people can see with iron sights but it's truly only point blank at 100-yds.

In the examples I gave earlier they were all sighted in for 100-yards as was this one.
Below is the table. Notice that I put the sight height in the same as mine. The height of the sight can make a little difference and the weight of the ball can also make difference. There's a slight difference in a .53 ball at 233.3-grains and a .54 ball at 236.2-gr.

413809343.jpg

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Latest posts

Back