• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antler Short Starter- Lets See Some

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greebe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to make a new short starter. I have some antler and was thinking of making one out of that.

I would appreciate seeing pictures of ones you guys have made. Just looking for some examples.

Thanks
Greebe

Hopefully I got a picture off of photobucket. I have had a lot of trouble since they redid their site. Here are two that I made from antler and brass rod. Along with a few other items that I made. You cann't see it well, but they have a forty grain powder measure in one end of the antler. With the measure hole large enough to fit over the end of a 3/8 ramrod to give you a larger area on your hand to "bump" the load tight
if desired.. :idunno:

Thanks for the photo. I like the idea of having a hole drilled in the antler to use as a powder measure.

this is mine for my sons .32. moose antler, 22 casings, and section of broken arrow shaft.

One does have a hole for a powder measure and a short plug for seating a patched ball for cutting at the muzzle. The other just has a short hole for over the end of the ramrod. Different starters for different uses. :idunno: :idunno:

Yep getting antler is the hard part. Since I only shoot one deer a year I have to depend on sheds or friends for antler for all of the things I make from them : cup handles, coat racks, short starters, knife handles, pipes, buttons , etc. I find that antler is getting harder to get each year while the uses for it just keeps increasing. :idunno:

Yep.
BTW, my 'technique' for making those, if you can call it that :wink: is simple. I use cut-off parts of hickory ram rods and simply set into a hold drilled part way into the antler. Most of the time I use epoxy glue but not always. The end of the rod is first cupped with a drill bit then fire hardened with a candle. Only takes a few minutes and is fun. I have sold and traded many of these. And many have gone onto the blanket for prizes. Sometimes I get lucky at antique shops and flea markets finding antler cheap.

Irondog54 said:
Here's one I made for my 50. Not fancy but tough and rugged. The curve of the antler pice molds around the corner of the bad it's on.
D6185E66-17EC-44FB-BC34-F71097575AB4_zpsuolx2myu.jpg

[imag e]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/irondog_54/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/39B00ABF-906E-4C4C-9621-EBC84B556619_zpsfgeg6mjq.jpg[/img]

Those are AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Back