• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antler handled knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished this up. Made this antler handled knife out of one of the old "Ticonderoga" hand forged blades that you used to be able to get. Probably 15+ years old. I shortened it, because it was pretty ridiculously long! Still, it's a big, heavy, solid knife.

I kinda slapped the sheath together pretty quickly. Thread broke twice and the splices are ugly, but I guess it's ok. It's meant to be worn inside the belt or sash, Daniel Boone style. :grin:

ak3pi.jpg

ak2jo.jpg

I love antler handled blades! One of the really intriguing arts that has caught my eye of late is flint knives made with bone or antler handles.
The hope is to get good enough at knapping to produce some of these ancient art forms that were merely tools to those who lived with and by them.
I think some of the war clubs and axes would be cool to fabricate as well. Mike D.

I'm not sure which I like better the knife or the sheath, both are very well done.True functional
Art, the best of both worlds! Mike D.

Stophel, a very admirable job -- both knife and sheath. I see one tang pin. Did you shorten the tang, too, in order to deal with the sweep in the antler?
I have one of those blades awaiting a handle and sheath as well. By the way, you can still get them here: http://pioneerarms.com/ticonderoga_knife_and_blades.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, that link doesn't work. Well, it works, but it sends you somewhere that you probably don't want to go!

The tang goes about 2/3rds of the way into the antler. As far as I could go without sticking through the curve. I shortened the blade by cutting the back, not the tip, so my "new" tang is rather wide at the root, with round "shoulders" instead of just a normal square cut narrow tang, so It' pretty dang hefty. :wink:

I found it, though, and yes, that's the blade (Mine has "P A" stamped on the tang). Didn't know they were still available.

well, for whatever reason, this board will not let you post the proper link. apparently, it automatically "x's" out commercial websites.

Back