• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antelope rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonpce said:
I am planning an antelope hunt next fall and wanted to buy a new rifle. All shots should be within 150 yards. Am considering a pedersoli or great plains both with a fast twist and paper patched bullets. I would appreciate any suggestions from guys with experience with these guns or at that distance. The muzzleloader I have now is a 100 yard gun at best.
Why not make it more fun and use the rifle you have now? If I wanted a gun that shot 150-200+ yards, I'd use a centerfire...

Alaskan Glen said:
I would love to hunt antelope in WY. Please keep us posted. Using a side lock MLBPR would be the best. Any cool weather hunting available in WY for them? Seems kind of dumb to shoot game when its 80F :)

Here in N AZ in the early archery deer/elk and trophy elk Muzzle loader hunts the temps in the day can reach right up there. Ya gotta make a clean kill and get that hide off ASAP. My 1st archery kill a few years ago I shot at 7:10 AM and elk skinned and at butcher by 9:30 AM :) A prolonged tracking job and/or a critter that dropped in a precarious place could mean spoiled meat :nono: :eek:ff

If all goes as planned I won't have to shoot over 100 yards but everything doesn't always go that way. I'd rather shoot 200 with a muzzleloader than a rifle

Here is one of the bucks I have taken with spot and stalk and patched roundball. Quite a bit of belly crawling is usually necessary but very rewarding when it pans out.

Ok, guess photo bucket doesn't work anymore. What hosting program are you using?

What?

You don't want to pay Photobucket $399.99 per year (and every year after that) for the privilege of posting some pictures on a web site?

Me neither.

I'm liking using Imgur. I went with it because I like the way other people's posted pics look better than the other services. It is pretty easy to work with after a brief learning curve. Like most things there are a couple little details that could be better.

Get some practice in with it then show us your antelope and the rifle you took it with.

zYn6glg.jpg

If you do some research on https://imgbb.com/ who they are, where they are etcetera, you might have second thoughts about using their service. I used it for a while but switched to imgur.

Long as I'm off topic, regarding goats and antelope, the Rocky mountain goat is actually an antelope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Idaho, can a paper patched bullet work in a 1:48 twist, to get acceptable groups at 100 yards.

I don't have any fast twist rifles, but like the idea of a paper patched bullet for shorter distance, than what you are faced with.

Nice antelope.

Unfortunately I have never heard of anyone having any luck with the 1-48 with paper patch.

Back