• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another powder bottle/apostle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a little searching on the web and believe it or not, in some books too. I worked up another design last night that seems to be a bit more accurate. I will try some flat bottom ones this evening. If you all have any links or desing ideas, let me know. The string is jute, I need to find something less fuzzy I think.
wolf57_2006
wolf57_2006

Looks good to me! :thumbsup:

Was reading about them myself and noticed the reason for the difference in numbers of powder bottles. Most folks figured musketeers with 8 or 10 or some other number had just lost or were never issued the whole dozen. Seems bandoleers held the number of powder bottles depending on the bore size of the musket used divided into a pound of powder. The standard was a 10 bore musket that used balls "12 to the pound rowling in" this meant "rolling" in or basically 12 guage balls in a 10 guage bore. Since the musketeers were issued a pound of powder and a pound of lead, the idea was each shot held a 12 guage ball and 1/12 pound of powder per shot! Don't try this at home!! :rotf: Consiquently, that guy would have carried 12 powder bottles on his bandoleer. Kind'a cool, I thought.

Back