• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another orphant followed me home,.... Sombody STOP Me !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harms Way

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought you guys would get a kick out of this,.... Went into the local pawn shop to see if anything "new" came in.... I seen this from a distance and it drew my attention.. The owner that knows I like this kind of stuff got a smile on his face as I was heading for the bait...

I look it over,.. He tells me the price. I said that's a lot of money for a gun with a cracked stock !...... His smile left quickly.. After showing him the crack.. The negotiations started. Not sure why but everything about this rifle was talking to me.... .50 Caliber Plains style rifle with a perfect bore 32" barrel,.. the look, feel and balance were all "right there" ..... After the "ping pong game" of pricing it... A grand total of four, Twenty dollar bills slid smoothly from my wallet into his till.... And I left with this broken beauty...

Well I have a fix for this kind of crack that is strong but mostly unnoticeable... I really like the poor old orphans, the repaired shooters and such. You know the cheap ones that can still do there job, but your not afraid of scratches, dents dings,... and more than just a little abuse. I have some custom builds, a few Lymans and T.C.'s But this one has my full on attention right now.

I have no information on this manufacture, but it looks well built.. All it says on it is "Ardesa" Spain .50.... Only thing I might change is buckhorn rear sight... (I'm sure it's not worth much more than I paid for it,.. But I really dig this thing !) Just thought you guys might enjoy the story.

Ardesa20.5020002.jpg

Ardesa20.5020003.jpg

Ardesa%20.50%20001.jpg

The two barrel wedges makes me think it is related to the CVA Mountain Rifle.

Except for the very first ones produced, the CVA Mountain Rifles and almost all of the other muzzleloading rifles CVA (and Traditions) sold/sell are made by Ardesa in Spain.

Ardesa sells a lot of their muzzleloaders in Europe and they would not carry the CVA or Traditions markings.

Zonie, exactly what I was gonna say.

Harms Way, you paid $80 bucks for that crack-you-can-fix sorta upscale Spanish CVA Mountain Rifle "beater"? Shut up! LOL

it is my considered opinion, after much rumination and free thought, that the item in question is completely without any value, merit, or possibility of redemption at any price or risk.

inasmuch as you appear to be an honest and well meaning fellow, however, I will exchange this worthless trinket for your purchase price if you consent to nevermore engage in this sort of self destructive behavior ... send the item to me, and I will send you your eighty bucks... you will have to cover postage, as an object lesson in the error of your ways.

and stay out of pawn shops and other such places: they are full of ne'er-do-wells, shysters, flimflam artists, cheaters and other notorious fellows who will separate you from your hard earned, overtaxed, God-entrusted dollars with even a thought to the purpose which you ought to put the money (stupid stuff, like groceries and house payments)...

shame on you!!

There is one identical to that one on Gunbroker for sale right now. Same half moon on cheek piece and same side plate. 32" barrel, made in Spain. Same muzzleloader as you have. Starting bid is 350.00 and someone has already placed a bid on it. I too like the looks of it but in no way I would pay 350.00 for it. I would pay no more than 200.00 for the one I saw and it was in almost mint condition. You did very well for the price you paid for yours. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

You didn't and wouldn't buy that for $200 OTD in mint condition!? Just as well then -- I wouldn't part with my Spanish-made .50 CVA Mountain Rifle for twice that these days 'less I was desperate.

You need someone to keep you out of Harms Way!

I won't be as harsh as MSW...I'll give
you $85 for it ( a "tidy profit") :hmm:

Of course, that's after you fix the crack in the stock. :haha: :haha:

Nice rifle! Nice buy!

Richard/"Grumpa"

I might rethink about buying it for 200.00 in mint condition but there is no way I would pay what the seller started the bid at 350.00. If I ever did buy the rifle I would change both the rear and front sights. I would put a fixed Full Buckhorn on the rear and a Silver blade in a copper base on the front. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

I can't thank you enough for your most generous offer in unburdening me from this error in judgment, And foolish behavior... And after much thought and deliberation.As much as I appreciate your desire to relieve me of this constant reminder regarding a compulsion, I cant seem to control.....

I find it only fair and fitting to keep this rifle close at all times, As a constant reminder to myself of the depths of poor firearms decisions I am capable of.....

So I find it unfair to burden you with the yoke of my poor decisions.... I just wouldn't feel right taking advantage of a fellow human being willing to take upon themselves this burden....

..... No.... I have made this decision.... I must live with it,.. and hopefully learn from it...

I must run,.. As I just received a call from the Pawn Shop on another Muzzle loader they got in... So I can march into there... Look my addiction in the eye.... Turn on my heels and walk away from it....

But thank you...for your most generous offer.

Back