• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Finishing Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had great success using Teak Oil as my final stock finish. It dries quickly and leaves a nice warm satin glow to the wood that is not too glossy. The stuff is designed for outdoor use that is exposed to all of the weather elements and that really makes Teak Oil my #1 choice.

I will put several coats of this oil on a gun stock over a few days rubbing it into the wood each coat and a coarse rub down (burnish) with burlap. When I am happy with the final finish surface, I let the stock rest, assemble gun and use it for about a month. Then I give the piece a good coat of fine paste wax.

My question. How do you remove wax from a rifle in order to apply more oil finish for future touch ups?

do your self a favor with the good job you have done. go to the internet look up HUTS PLASTIC POLISH, buy a bottle of it. get some 100 percent pure cotton flannel cloth. with that cloth and huts polish rub down that stock for a couple of days. the result will beyond your wildest dreams. if you think it glows now that wont be the words after rubbing it down with huts for a couple of days. tell us about it and spread the news. you will be happy with the results.

After shooting and cleaning I rub the stock down with flannel, then put a few drops of oil on and rub in. Then wax in about a week.
If shooting and exposing the gun to the elements a lot I keep it waxed until the end of season. Usually a dab of wax at beginning then another dab about half way through. Buffed up a bit.

Latest posts

Back