• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ancient New Bee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eterry is right, may be ugly but shoot better than you!. My opinion w/o having seen pics is remove the rust and shoot it. My favorite rust removal trick would be prefect. 8-1 water and molasses mix (8 water and 1 molasses). Now since its just a bit of the breech/bore yer after just start with teaspoon size mixture, 8tbs water 1 tbs mollasses. Heat and mix. PLUG the barrel/nipple really good. Pour that in there and let it set 2 days. dump it and clean up. NO MO RUST. I used this on an ROA cylinder that was allowed to sit outside in a cardboard box 2-3 years in the rain and aint nobody would have EVER thought we would ever even get the nipples out. It is as good as new now. BUT....the trick will remove bluing (plug that nipple). The cylinder is perfect but way lighter in color that before. Still I could reblue and it would be good as new.

If ya need a barrel they do pop up all the time on our classified section and on evilbay. I'm betting its gonna be good as new.

Welcome from AZ

Southwest VA near Bristol. I also lived in Northern VA for a few years in Crystle City, but returned to the mountains when I retired.
Ah yes. Beautiful country. My youngest is a Hokkie and we've made numerous trips in your direction.

Crystal City, know it well. My contractor career had me out in Chantily for all but the last couple of years.

Eterry is right, may be ugly but shoot better than you!. My opinion w/o having seen pics is remove the rust and shoot it. My favorite rust removal trick would be prefect. 8-1 water and molasses mix (8 water and 1 molasses). Now since its just a bit of the breech/bore yer after just start with teaspoon size mixture, 8tbs water 1 tbs mollasses. Heat and mix. PLUG the barrel/nipple really good. Pour that in there and let it set 2 days. dump it and clean up. NO MO RUST. I used this on an ROA cylinder that was allowed to sit outside in a cardboard box 2-3 years in the rain and aint nobody would have EVER thought we would ever even get the nipples out. It is as good as new now. BUT....the trick will remove bluing (plug that nipple). The cylinder is perfect but way lighter in color that before. Still I could reblue and it would be good as new.

If ya need a barrel they do pop up all the time on our classified section and on evilbay. I'm betting its gonna be good as new.

Welcome from AZ
Interesting method. I'll stick it in my notes. Have a few other suggestions to go with first.

Had a brass bore brush break off in the .54 cal barrel. All the way at the bottom of course. Managed to get it out by slipping a .5" od aluminum tube over about half the brush. But not until I had packed that end of the tube with a fresh mix of JB Weld. I then blew on the other end of the tube to apply pressure and push the JB Weld into the brush. Let set and out it all came. Surprisingly easy.

Interesting method. I'll stick it in my notes. Have a few other suggestions to go with first.

Had a brass bore brush break off in the .54 cal barrel. All the way at the bottom of course. Managed to get it out by slipping a .5" od aluminum tube over about half the brush. But not until I had packed that end of the tube with a fresh mix of JB Weld. I then blew on the other end of the tube to apply pressure and push the JB Weld into the brush. Let set and out it all came. Surprisingly easy.

Like a lot of folks here who may have learned the hard way, I came to realise that metal brushes are made for bores that have a hole at each end, as I'm told many modern-day unmentionables do.

Stick to bristle or this new-fangled nylon stuff for brushes that you need to reverse in the bore.

Thanks all! I do intend to clean as best I can and see what I have. And I do have a bore scope I use with my modern guns. The breech isn't solid 'red' but there's a lot in there so I have some hope. I didn't mention before but the gun is a .54 cal.

I had pickled the gun in the late 70's while life got in the way of play. Some 10-12 years ago I cleaned it up just in time for my health to go sour. Now I can get back to it but the last 10 years or so haven't been overly kind to it. Outside I'd give the barrel a solid 9. But inside................?
Ace Hardware sells a metal cleaning scotch type pad. (Maroon color) Cut a small square, use next size smaller jag, use some sort of oil and scrub, scrub scrub. I also once cleaned a non cleaned BP barrel with 0000 steel wool with oil on a bronze brush on a thin cleaning rod spun by an electric drill. Barrel cleaned up, had pitting, but still shot well. Good luck and welcome back. I’ve heard talk of Rice barrel making drop in barrels, but have never checked it out.

Ah yes. Beautiful country. My youngest is a Hokkie and we've made numerous trips in your direction.

Crystal City, know it well. My contractor career had me out in Chantily for all but the last couple of years.
Best gun show in the country is in Chantilly.

What part of VA? I lived in NOVA for some 30 years. Last tour in the AF was in DC after which I took my security clearance and experience and sold it to the highest corporate bidder. I'm home in southern Michigan now.
Another welcome from VA. I have been 15 minutes from WTB Quantico for 30 years. On purpose.

Respectfully,
Bob S.

What part of VA? I lived in NOVA for some 30 years. Last tour in the AF was in DC after which I took my security clearance and experience and sold it to the highest corporate bidder. I'm home in southern Michigan now.
Welcome from the high desert. I lived in NoVA for 35 years before moving back out west in 2012. Born in Escanaba but raised all over, military brat.

welcome. did you happen to use bore butter??
Pretty sure I did not. Been years. On the up side it seems the more I work it the cleaner it gets. I realized too that some of the "rust" I was seeing was being caused by the LED lights on the end of my bore scope. Lights need to be turned way down for the best picture.

Ace Hardware sells a metal cleaning scotch type pad. (Maroon color) Cut a small square, use next size smaller jag, use some sort of oil and scrub, scrub scrub. I also once cleaned a non cleaned BP barrel with 0000 steel wool with oil on a bronze brush on a thin cleaning rod spun by an electric drill. Barrel cleaned up, had pitting, but still shot well. Good luck and welcome back. I’ve heard talk of Rice barrel making drop in barrels, but have never checked it out.
I'll see if my local Ace has them today.

Welcome from the high desert. I lived in NoVA for 35 years before moving back out west in 2012. Born in Escanaba but raised all over, military brat.
Escanaba? Let's see, that would have been K.I. Sawyer? Or Kincheloe? Been a long time since I was up there.

Back