• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Rifle by Alexander Rose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this book when first published, and have read it about a dozen times. I love Rose's storytelling, but his stats are what really blow me away. Regarding rifle during the revolution, he sites figures that imply that despite the small production numbers we commonly associate with the Revolutionary Era, there were by far more rifles both extant and available for sale at the outset of hostilities than other types of long guns.

He also quotes ads for rifle barrels in Virginia as early as 1719. While obviously not too early, it definitely predates the perceived common availability of rifles to Americans. Yet he also notes how John Adams, Lawyer, respectable Boston professional, and aspiring politician, had virtually never heard of a rifle until the 1770s.

It seems, based solely on Rose's single book, that rifles were extremely well known by a certain type of American long before the Revolution, and yet essentially ghost-ware to a whole other type of American even up to the start of the Revolution.

My narrow perception is that the Longrifle as we perceive it took form in the 1740s/50s, and reached its height in the Golden Age, post-Revolution. But if Rose's careful documentation is to be believed, the rifle was so common by the Revolution as to be a nuisance to Tidewater Aristos hoping to fight a civilized war. If one is to believe such accounts as a surplus of rifles being turned in to Daniel Morgan in exchange for muskets his riflemen couldn't use.

Thoughts? Stats?

The American population doubled from 1740-1770. Rifles were virtually unknown by most people in New England and whites in NY colony. Sir William Johnson could not find a good rifle or rifle-making gunsmith in NY in the 1760s. That leaves NY Iroquois, Pennsylvania Germanics and native Americans, same in Maryland and Virginia and North Carolina. A few attestations of rifles from South Carolina have surfaced here and there. Rifles were expensive compared to smoothbores which may have been required for every man suitable for militia. So, who owned or needed to own a rifle between 1740 and 1760? White long hunters after deer hides and Native Americans. Wealthy men wanting the latest in arms. I think estate records are most likely to tell us who owned rifles 1740-1760.

Great analysis Rich. I've read 10 or 12, 500 + page books of actual testimonials from folks that lived through the early times , 1740 through 1800. There is much evidence that there were long guns in every day use by whites and Indians , but little descriptive information about the actual guns . One major question would be , what is the number of rifled guns , vs smooth long rifles" ??? We know the calibers were between .47 and up to .60. A common statement among folks back then was , that a gun below .47 , was unacceptable for hunting or war. Another frequent notation was when a flintlock would fail due to internal part breakage at some critical juncture. The frequency of failure has to be important , as there was not a gunsmith for hundreds of miles anywhere. Spare guns were apparently , not frequently carried by hunters, and explorers . Another common thread recorded , was a person with a gun had the ability to find sustenance and do well out there , both white and Indian. Again , the references to what kind of guns the Indians possessed , are vague. Some traders from eastern Pa. , took long rifles to trade for firs on the frontier. Another source of long guns , was raids on white settlements. Every cabin had some kind of gun there and the accouterments , powder , flint , and lead , with it. Common procedure was surprise, death and scalping to all persons not able to travel , and a hindrance to the raiding party. Frequently , those kidnapped were made to carry their own stolen items back to the Indian towns. Failure to make the journey meant sure death and another scalp on the belt of a savage......................I'm off subject , so time to stop...............oldwood

Oldwood, I’ve been fascinated with the earliest use of the rifle in the colonies and any clue as to who was making them, what they looked like, and who was using them is like a gold nugget to me. It seems like 1770 is a date when we can say, “yep, lots of rifles being made and used in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.” I feel like the frontier moved quite a bit around that time. But 1750s colonial-made longrifles? Scarce as hen’s teeth, or hard to identify, and scarce documentation. 1740’s? Seems mostly imports.

Oldwood, I’ve been fascinated with the earliest use of the rifle in the colonies and any clue as to who was making them, what they looked like, and who was using them is like a gold nugget to me. It seems like 1770 is a date when we can say, “yep, lots of rifles being made and used in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.” I feel like the frontier moved quite a bit around that time. But 1750s colonial-made longrifles? Scarce as hen’s teeth, or hard to identify, and scarce documentation. 1740’s? Seems mostly imports.

A read of the book in the title of the thread might set your dates back several decades. Or a reread if already consumed once or twice.

Fellows.......I think from the Moravian gunsmithing information I've read couple years ago, the number of usable guns between 1740 to 1750 was estimated to be one gun per every 50 persons on the frontier. That number includes imports as well as domestically made guns. In early 1750's , the niche market for long rifles exploded , as did the population from all over Europe coming to America for the opportunity to own land , and the freedom to control their own destiny. In Shumway's books there are a few European non-musket long guns of shaky heritage illustrated , but not in any significant numbers to even begin to say the American long rifle was patterned , even vaguely , after them.
Also , the 1748 Edward Marshal rifle , is a classic example of what's called by serious collectors a " Transition Rifle" , from the East central European guns , ie , Jager rifles , and some other medium length , large caliber , rifles from central East Europe , to the beginnings of the long barreled , smaller caliber classic American arm. The lack of trained American gunsmiths naturally retarded the numbers of American guns moving west, until the Moravian trained gunsmiths left Christian Springs in Eastern Pa.. , and in South Carolina , the Bethabara Moravian center , near Winston Salem. One would assume if both training centers were up and running between 1750 and 1753 . and the production of much needed guns for the frontier began to increase the number of classic American guns going west for hunting , and protection of population during the F and I war , post 1750 as the frontier moved west. ....................This is a synopsis of my understanding of where and why and how the classic American long rifle developed. Until proof for another scenario comes to light , I'll offer the above as my humble opinion. ............oldwood

Back