• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

affordable matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
any one know a builder who turns out matchlocks for under $1000? id really like a 75 cal matchlock built in a similer style to the india made gun offered by veteran arms but i would like a better quality barrel and the forstock to be a little smore slender.

under normal conditions id suck it up and pay $2000 for a real nice custom. but with layoffs happening at my work i cant risk getting that invested in another gun. i was all ready to order a custom wheellock fowling piece before the layoffs started but my fear of losing my job won out.

thanks
-Matt

I bought one from Loyalist Arms back in December, $709 US delivered. They did a black dye job on the stock, but otherwise nothing special. It needed a couple of tweeks (pan cover needed tightening, seer bar needed some adjustment), but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with it. At 50 yards it's about as accurate as my 12-gauge doglock, with a fair bit of kick. I do intend to replace the scouring stick, but it'll do for now.

i know the price is low but its the best i can do. i may just end up buying the india made gun from Veteran arms.

okawbow, i love the first kit on their list (527). but im not willing to wait two years just to get a kit thats either missing parts or in poor condition. the rifle shoppe has a terrible reputation.

-matt

Ok, I've never dealt with them before. I am also mildly interested in getting a matchlock. They told me it would be 4-6 weeks for a parts set for the Early matchlock cavalier. I like the looks and caliber of that model.

Matt85 said:
i know the price is low but its the best i can do. i may just end up buying the india made gun from Veteran arms.

okawbow, i love the first kit on their list (527). but im not willing to wait two years just to get a kit thats either missing parts or in poor condition. the rifle shoppe has a terrible reputation.-matt

Matt...The Rifle Shoppe has a reputation for slow delivery but the quality of what they sell is excellent.

Copperclad said:
"good, fast, or cheap, pick any two". :wink:

if life really worked that way, id settle for good and cheap with a long wait.

from the many many stories ive read about the rifle shoppe isnt any of those. i dont mind waiting if i know the outcome will be good. the rifle shoppe has a reputation for leaving out parts or sending broken parts and this is after making you wait 2 years for the kit. lets say they didnt have the reputation for making you wait forever for a kit thats less then complete. even then the cost of the kit and a builder to assemble it for me is out of my price range.

i dont need something great, just decent.

-matt

I have gotten a number things from the Rifle Shoppe, mostly in 4 weeks. Once I got a broken part, I
called them and sent me a replacement in 10 days.

I call them and ask if they have what I want on hand, if they do I order it. It works for me.

William Alexander

as i said in my last post, even if the rifle shoppe could be trusted. the price of the kit plus the cost of paying someone to build it would be beyond my comfortable means for at least the next year or two. i will revisit the more spendy guns again in 2014 if my job looks stable by then.

for now my total cost including build and shipping needs to stay under $1000.

-matt

Try Leonard Day. His matchlock is .62 smooth with a trigger, trigger guard and fishtail stock.
$825 assembled, and $545 kit price. His kits are mostly inlet, and need slimming down on the forearm, etc. Parts are as good as anyone's, and the walnut stock is standard. Barrels are from Shaw in western Pennsylvania.
I am finishing up his English Fowler, which is just about the same gun with a 1630's English doglock.

His address - Leonard Day
3 Kings Highway
Westhampton, MA

413-527-0184 work 413-527-9627 home

He is not on the computer.

John

Jaeger62 said:
Try Leonard Day. His matchlock is .62 smooth with a trigger, trigger guard and fishtail stock.
$825 assembled, and $545 kit price. His kits are mostly inlet, and need slimming down on the forearm, etc. Parts are as good as anyone's, and the walnut stock is standard. Barrels are from Shaw in western Pennsylvania.
I am finishing up his English Fowler, which is just about the same gun with a 1630's English doglock.

His address - Leonard Day
3 Kings Highway
Westhampton, MA

413-527-0184 work 413-527-9627 home

He is not on the computer.

John

thanks ill give him a try.

-matt

Mr Day just sent my rifle in the white abou 3 months
I'm now waiting like a kid on xmas morning waiting on santa

Back