• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjustable Barrel Lapping Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12" shifting spanner generally works I used a lot of Nocks patent plugs in 12 bore . I use linseed oil gone a bit thick to go onto the threads seems to work Freshing isn't some thing Ive done much of .
interesting piece on this.
Regards Rudyard

This is a great post. I just recently created a lapping jig, like OPs. My issue is a bit different, it's an almost 50 year old barrel that was neglected by a previous owner, pitted, builds up crud and gets hard to load and clean faster than it should.
I started with brasso, and have gotten increasingly more aggressive with lapping pastes from 6k, I'm now at 220 grit wheeler lapping paste. So far I've been very carefully making sure the lapping compound is only on the high points, I don't want to grind the lands away.

I've spent about 1 hour and the lands are still well defined and the grooves are getting cleaned up. I still need a ton more work but it's promising.

There are obvious high spots and low spots in the grooves where it's polished one place but still very rough 12" away in the same groove.

Next time I'll post some before/after borescope pics that are blurry and pretty much worthless

Back