• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding a fly to a lock..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Sort of a visual how to :haha:

I started out by heating it up bright and letting it cool in ash to take the temper out..

DSC_0323.jpg

Drilled the pivot hole and scribed where I wanted the fly to go

DSC_0326.jpg

Engraved chiseled and filed

DSC_0334.jpg

makings of a fly

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

getting it shaped

DSC_0338.jpg

almost there

DSC_0333.jpg

all hardened and ready to go..

DSC_0339.jpg

:hmm: feelin a lil creative today Roy? that's pretty cool! (damn you must have good eyes! :rotf: )... :bow:

Eye doc said that I had perfect vision.. :grin: I wish I did have a big magnifier though :haha:

Nicely done, Roy. Thanks for the pictures. I doubt many people ever want to tackle making such a small item, much less fitting it to a tumbler.

Q. Do you harden AND temper the fly? If so, how do you do that on such a small piece of metal.?

All in all it only takes a few hours to do the work. Do this a handfull of times and you get quicker :haha: . Well worth it, especially on some of the castings that you get from The Rifle Shoppe. Not always needed, but does allow for a lighter trigger pull.

Yes I do harden the fly, if I didn't it would be worthless after a few shots. I use a pair of old needle nose pliers and a torch then case harden the fly. I like to use kasenite because it sort of insures that it will be hardened. Then I draw it back a touch by color.

Little pieces and big pieces are all the same.. just sometimes need a hotter flame for the big parts :haha:

Q. Do you harden AND temper the fly? If so, how do you do that on such a small piece of metal.?

A2 would be ideal for that. No quenching needed.

Never really played with any air hardening steel.. I imagine that it might be a pain to hammer one out. I started with round stock. Not too sure what it is I used :haha: but if you let it cool fairly slow you can shape it with a file, then harden it. I guess it would be ok if you heated it bright and let it cool in ash like I did the tumbler.

Anyway its not rocket science, only just one file stroke away from starting over :haha: :v

I have often wondered if it could be done...I have a Trapdoor tumbler I would like to put a fly in and couldn't find anyone who would even touch it. I considered getting a tumbler from TOTW already done and using that. MAYBE....I will get courage enough to try it, I do have extra tumblers in case of screw-ups. :rotf: Thanks for the tutorial on how-to-do-it!

:thumbsup: There are a couple of tips I can give if you want to try..

Most old locks didn't have them.

I've had some "tumbler blanks" made up for myself at the local machine shop. Made of mild steel (which I will caseharden). Basically a 1" diameter wheel with one large shaft on one side, and a small one on the other. So far, I've only used one to make my own tumbler (no fly). By golly, I think I did a good job with it and it works well.

Making a sear is pretty easy. I often saw bridles out of 3/8" thick mild steel (it's a LOT of hacksawing).

When I harden and temper flys (or is it "flies"???), I do them on the tumbler together with it. The fly is just too dang small to do by itself.

The lock above would go into half cock with a single pinned trigger from full cock, unless you more or less jerked the trigger. I could have increased the sear spring tension, but the owner thought a fly would be a better bet. Stumblins lock is another story, a Chambers small siler that somehow... (not naming names or pointing fingers :haha: ) lost its fly..

Roy said:
Stumblins lock is another story, a Chambers small siler that somehow... (not naming names or pointing fingers :haha: ) lost its fly..

:hmm: Evidently that happens..sometimes.. :redface: :rotf:

I don't care how HOT you get those little suckers when you harden them, when they are done, they still have " WINGS"! :rotf: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Back