• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A pilgrims Journey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAFO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How many of you folks have read Mark Bakers books and what do you think of them? I am considering buying them and would like some honest opinions of them.

I have Pilgrim's Journey Vol. 1 and 2. Have not read #2 yet, but #1 was very good. It shows his progression as his research got better and deeper into the things he was trying to do. I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

I have read both books. Lots of info and interesting reading. Keep reading them over. Only one thing disappoints me about both books. I wish I could have been there. Mark Baker had a journey that I truly envy. There are not many things that I've wished I could have done but this is one of them. I chose to be a miner for a heart of gold instead of life experience.

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Amigos)Stay Well and Shoot Often

Both of the Pilgrim's Journey are good, especially if you haven't followed the articles in the Magazine. And if you have there are still things to see that you may have missed. If nothing else it makes it more convenient to reference old articles than going thru years of back issues to fine the one you want. Talk is that Son's of a Trackless Forest will be back in print soon but I will have to check on that. I have never read it but no doubt it will be worth the time to read. :thumbsup:

:bow: :bow: :bow:
I have got a lot of longhunter info from him,
but am not overly inpressed with his riflery.
I drather not subjucate my custom rifles to 1700 century cleaning methods, but other than that It is a worthy read, very informative. and worth every penny
:hatsoff:

I received both #1 & #2 for Christmas this last year from my children. I have had some doubts in reading some of Mr. Baker's writings but I have enjoyed book #1 so far. I have had and watched his video series as well over and over. It is informative to see his progression through his Journey. I would really like to get my hands on his first book, can't remember the name at the moment.
Trackless Forest I think

FGV

Sons of the Trackless Forest is his best work. But hard to find--try the library system. I won't part with my copy. It is an outgrowth of his Masters Thesis. Pilgrims Journey V. 1& 2 are also fine books--compendiums of his ML Mag articles. I have read v. 1 and not yet v. 2, although I have skimmed it. I enjoyed them. For the eastern hunter, you can learn alot of stuff--but be aware that Mark is an "experimental" type, who will reach some "historical"conclusions by "doing" rather than by period documentation. This may be a little controversial, although in some forms is accepted research. He has been criticised by some (too much walnut dye, too many "Bakerisms" resulting from his "research" rather than period data, etc.), but Mark has done a great service to us and deserves a read.

I agree Mr Baker put this hobby into a whole new ballgame(Though I know there were a lot of fellers already playing)Ive read most of his articles as printed in the mag but just can't bring myself to drop the coin on the books,,Oh well thats all I buy at Kalamazoo every year I guess I'll try to pick them up(I know dear...But honest I am reading all six books at once :shake: )...Mark

I have both of the Pilgrim Journey books.Great books.
Alas i didn't have his first book,Sons of the Trackless Forest.It's harder to find than a needle in a haystack. :cursing: And when some is selling his book you must pay between §150-$200.
But back to the Pilgrim Journy.IMO they are both worth their money.I have learned a lot of these books.

I have really got alot of enjoyment from reading Mark's books.I have incorporated alot of good tips into my gear and treks. I have Pilgrim's Journey 1 and 2 and have been re-reading them this past couple months. I also landed a copy of Sons of a Trackless Forest and have read the first quarter of the book - priceless! I had to pay $125 for my copy and It is worth every penny. I tried our library system and they couldn't locate a copy.

He does not claim to be the Guru of trekkers - if some people criticise it may be the "make somebody look small so I look bigger syndrome". I for one am happy he has chosen to write...............................................................................................

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall.
We must away ere the break of day.
Far over wood and mountain tall. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

I have just found vol 1 and 2 of A pilgrims journey on abe[url] books.com[/url] @$70 plus postage. No sign of forest book. While not real cheap i got um. Been shootin NSSA most of my 55 years I'm not even sure I want to start trekkin. Just got A near new brown bess repro (miroku)? japan that I have not fired yet. Yes I got my parachute badge in March of 1970 but am embaressed to say am a bit softer now. thanks for lookin. SW

Last edited by a moderator:
undertaker said:
Alas i didn't have his first book,Sons of the Trackless Forest.It's harder to find than a needle in a haystack. :cursing: And when some is selling his book you must pay between §150-$200.

DANG!!!! I was pretty lucky to order one a few years back then I guess. It's a good read, dry but full of information, but I wouldn't pay $100+
for it. Of course, I won't sell mine either :grin:

Adam

I have the first pilgrims journey, but they want dang near $50 with shipping and handling. For the second one. I think it is way over priced. At least for me it is.
Old Charlie

blackpowderscout said:
undertaker said:
DANG!!!! I was pretty lucky to order one a few years back then I guess. It's a good read, dry but full of information, but I wouldn't pay $100+
Adam
A guy in Germany sold his book for €225.That's $299. :youcrazy:

undertaker said:
blackpowderscout said:
undertaker said:
Adam
A guy in Germany sold his book for €225.That's $299. :youcrazy:

People in Hades want ice water too .. so whats new? :hmm: Thats crazy talk, and prices too! Ridiculous! :surrender:

Davy

We all justify spending our money on what we want, I think my little Chevy S-10 get me around just fine, other folks think they need one of them 55000.00 Cadillac SUV things but they both get you there.
Claude

I have A pilgrims Journey and its a very good book. Easy to follow and the pics are great.
Sons of a Trackless Forest is the best book Ive ever picked up. Over 1000 pages but easy reading and hard to put down. I talked with Mark Baker last month and he is in the process of putting Sons in print again and maybe adding to the book. Its worth waiting for because a copy--if you can find one---will run you upwards to $700 I hear. Again it is the best book Ive put my hands on. :thumbsup:

jafo,

happy birthday to yooouuuuuuu!!!

..ttfn..grampa..

PS. thanks romeoh, i missed the cake..

Back