• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A good day at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It was more like an hour or so really, but still good. I was shooting my Lyman Trade Rifle off the bench at 50 yards. Still climbing the learning curve, but I'm getting much better grouping now. I tried two different patch thicknesses, found that the thinner one gave me better results, which is not what I expected - but I need to shoot more with both to be sure.

Eyesight is a problem, the front sight is clear but the target is a fuzzy dot over the sight. Maybe it's time for new glasses.

There was some discussion about flints on another thread. I bought a batch of TOW black English flints, I think the first one was was chipped after 30 or 40 shots, but the current flint has fired 85 shots now, although I did have to tap some flakes off the edge after 72. I put this one in with the flat side up and the lock seems to prefer it that way.

I love this [strike]sh[/strike] stuff, real glad I took it up!

Cheers,

Jamie

Glad your doing better, in the military, we were always told a clear sight and fuzzy target was what you wanted. :thumbsup:

Focused front sight, fuzzy target, surprise break, are marksmanship basics.
I find my smooth rifle prefers a thinner patch, or no patch,,, but my Tule Fusil de Chase likes a .600 ball and a .010 patch. Ah, the quirks of smooth bores, gotta love 'em.

Have fun.

Clear front sight is good. If the target is mis-aligned by 1/16" then you miss by 1/16", but if your front sight is mis-aligned by the same amount you could easily miss the whole target frame.

Good report, you are learning and having fun. Ditto what was said above as to focused front sight and fuzzy target.

Keep sharing with us. :thumbsup:

Back