• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

90 grs. Too much for Renegade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bore butter is NOT the problem...its the lack of "proper" cleaning AFTER using bore butter which allows an eventual buildup that can then affect accuracy.
I've used T/C's Natural Lube 1000 bore butter since 1993 and have always enjoyed excellent accuracy in several different rifles/calibers and smoothbores/gauges. Just have to get the bore squeaky clean each and every time to prevent gradual buildup.

Korde said:
Couple questions:
There were topics about Triple 7 so I thought I was safe to ask :)
I've always been under the impression that Pyrodex was hotter than standard black powder so required a lesser charge for the same amount of performance, and that it was better in resisting the elements and easier on the clean up.
If I'm naive or misguided, I am open to suggestions and willing to go to blackpowder

Pyrodex is fine to not only use, but to discuss. Occasionally you'll find some grumpy old geezer who thinks it should all be done his way.

Nevertheless, I use Pyrodex RS in my .54, since it's all I have (3F Goex is for my flint and revolvers). I got a bunch of Pyrodex on sale a while ago, and it would have been foolish not to get it. Someday when I'm out, I'll take that 350 mile round trip to get some Goex 2F, but for now, that Pyrodex P is much better than just 'good enough'.

I use between 65 gr and 80 gr. with a tightly patched .535" RB & .018" patch, and accuracy is always better than what I expect.

90 Gr. is a little higher than I need, and the groups begin to open up with the higher loads.

AZbpBurner said:
I got a bunch of Pyrodex on sale
Used RS year round for 7 years until I switched to Flintlocks...and just before switching I had bought 8-10lbs of RS at a Walmart year end sale.
Used every bit of it up in my Flintlocks with a 20grn charge of Goex 3F poured down bore first.

I recently found that the combination of 100 gr of Goex FFFG with .530 ball,.015 patch and OP wad gives me the best combination of accuracy and down range energy. I consistently get about a 2" group at 50 yards. I have a 54 Renegade.

Wink

Thanks for all the input guys.. I'm realizing that there is always something to tinker or adjust ;)
I'm gonna try 85 grs and just using the patchespresaturated with wonder lube 100 possibly tuesday and ill report my findings here.

Also, buy some un-lubed patches and try saliva (spit) for a lube. I think you will like the results. If they work well, then try some "dry"-lubed Ballistol/water patches. Dutch Schultz discusses them in his Black Powder Accuracy System. Good luck :thumbsup:

Just keep playing around with it, you'll eventually find what it likes. Like others said, it could be patch thickness, it could be lube, it could be the amount of powder. A lot of variables to work through. To me, that is part of the fun of blackpowder shooting. But...once you got, you got it!

Jeff

Latest posts

Back