• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7x7 oilskin tarp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude said:
Capn said:
Here is something that might make things easier for those who want to paint their own canvass:
[url] http://www.solventfreepaint.com/paint/iron_primer_linseed.htm#[/url]

Yikes! At $120 per gallon, I think I'll throw some pigment in a can of linseed oil instead. :grin:

Yea, it locks a bit pricey at first but, it spreads 3x more than conventional LO and it "can be thinned out with boiled linseed oil". A qrt. will do a lot more than a 8x8 sheet of canvass. Considering all the other qualities - no smell, not sticky, no mildew and dries in a day, I don't think it's all that bad. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Claude said:
Capn said:
Here is something that might make things easier for those who want to paint their own canvass:

Yikes! At $120 per gallon, I think I'll throw some pigment in a can of linseed oil instead.

???? The price I see is $29.95 per gallon. :confused: :confused:

twisted_1in66 said:
Claude said:
Capn said:

Yikes! At $120 per gallon, I think I'll throw some pigment in a can of linseed oil instead.

???? The price I see is $29.95 per gallon. :confused: :confused:

This is what I see on the page:

Iron Primer - 1.05 Quart
# 50052
Price: $29.95

That comes to $119.80 per gallon (I rounded it to $120 for dramatic effect) :winking:

That very quickly takes the price back to the cost of a comercial oilskin trail tarp.

Defeats the whole purpose and leaves us with a very expensive experiment to detirmine if this paint even serves the purpose.

Lots of paints spread well but I would not want to use them on a tarp I was going to carry. And just because it dries in 24 hours on a wood surface does not mean it will not remain sticky when used on fabric.

If it works that's great, but I do not have the money to experiment with it. I can buy a new
GM barrel for that amount!

It's here!
My 7x7 just arrived and my first impression is that it's too manufactured. The stitching is VERY white against oilskin. I need to tar the seams I guess.
More to come. . .

Is this the one made out of the brown rip-stop nylon or is it the more solid color fabric?

By the way, the Sharpie markers come in a wide variety of PC colors that will make those stiches blend right in! :blah:

Sorry, I just had to do that!

I have seen a lot of the Panther trail tarps in use around here. They age pretty well and the seams dirty up on their own pretty quickly. A friend tied one off to a tree next to my tent a few years back and spent a cozy 4 days in the rain with no problems. The House brouthers used to throw a big shooting match down this way and it seemed like half the camp slept under those Panther trail tarps.

If you have the brown one be real careful at night, they absolutely disipear after dark. I have stepped on several while walking through camps.

ghost said:
Is this the one made out of the brown rip-stop nylon or is it the more solid color fabric?

By the way, the Sharpie markers come in a wide variety of PC colors that will make those stiches blend right in! :blah:

Sorry, I just had to do that!
I guess I owed ya that much Bud :thumbsup:

I have seen a lot of the Panther trail tarps in use around here. They age pretty well and the seams dirty up on their own pretty quickly. A friend tied one off to a tree next to my tent a few years back and spent a cozy 4 days in the rain with no problems. The House brouthers used to throw a big shooting match down this way and it seemed like half the camp slept under those Panther trail tarps.
I was hoping that a little patina would help it out, It's miles ahead of my white canvas 9x9. I had a visitor half sneer one time that my, "tarp" was a purposwe-built structure and I couldn't argue the point. I'm still trying to get the balance of form and function.

If you have the brown one be real careful at night, they absolutely disipear after dark. I have stepped on several while walking through camps.
I was thinking about "blending" but I guess that's an added bonus. :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to getting back to the woods now.

Back