• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

69 caliber 720 grain miniè

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwtradegun

50 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone ever use a 69 caliber 720 grain miniè ball in a 12 ga. smooth bore musket. its a 729 bore diameter. the minie is a 694.

I have. I shot them out of a .75cal smooth bore bbl. No problem. If it will go down , it will come out.

wahkahchim said:
Do you patch them? Or shoot them raw? Lubrication? Thanks!!!

Same bees wax and tallow lube as for minni balls. No patch. I have some .69 cal minni balls left over from my Rifled 1842 musket. It is not my every day load. Just something I played with. And yes I have all my teeth.

And as for inaccurate, this is a smooth bore we are talking about.......how accurate is it going to be any way? We are not talking the Olympics here

It's only about 13% heavier and your range for deer or bigger killing accuracy is still just 50 or 60 yards. I'm thinking a .75 cal at 1000 fps would be as hard on hogs as that Minnie. You would have some 'arrow stability' with that hollow base Minnie. It might shoot as well??? I have to question if it would be more real world effective :idunno:

I don't think you will have any useful accuracy.

Minnies were not meant to be used in smoothbores.

In that large of a caliber, a ball will kill anything on this continent, and most things on the other ones, with better accuracy and less recoil and flatter tranectory.

Or you could grow your own. This is a hollow base for the .69 rifled musket, Lyman 57730 given slick sides for patching.

Finding out what works or doesn't is part of the fun but finding a shuttlecock design that doesn't need rifling aint a'gonna be easy.

The difference between the mini and the bore is .035" which isn't going to work well at all. That's asking a lot of the mini to expand that much. The mini will be laying in the bore off center and may not expand uniformly. You will also get blow by which will compound the expansion problem and fouling will build up quickly. For a proper fit you need to reduce that dimension by about .033". The clearance between the mini and the bore should be .001" to .002" though you could get by with a little more than that. Resolving the clearance issue will still leave you with a cylindrical projectile which needs spin to stabilize.

Why don't you try a 438 grain 12 Ga Lee Slug or a 525 grain 12 Ga. Lyman Slug in it instead??? I think the Lyman would work better. It's not really a "sabot" slug as the website suggests as it rides in a normal shell in a regular shot cup. The Lee is meant for a rifled barrel and is a bit thinner, BUT perhaps it could be paper patched. You're talking old-school smooth bore shotgun performance, so about 50 yards.

LD

hawkeye2 said:
The difference between the mini and the bore is .035" which isn't going to work well at all. That's asking a lot of the mini to expand that much. The mini will be laying in the bore off center and may not expand uniformly. You will also get blow by which will compound the expansion problem and fouling will build up quickly. For a proper fit you need to reduce that dimension by about .033". The clearance between the mini and the bore should be .001" to .002" though you could get by with a little more than that. Resolving the clearance issue will still leave you with a cylindrical projectile which needs spin to stabilize.

As stated, the mold was altered. It was given slick sides for paper patching in the .69 musket.

I shoot 720 grain miniés out of my .69 rifled 1842 with 65 grains of Swiss 3FG, recoil feels about like a 12 gauge buckshot load.
Not terrible even from the bench if you don't totally lean into it.

The total bullet weight of Buck and ball loads out .69 muskets were about the same I guess.

Three of my 730 .69 miniè next to a .308 168 grain BTHP.

69ergeschosse_zpsccd079b3.jpg

Back