• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

60 Colt Army range report II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irataylor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After changing back to the original cylinder and switching to hornady rbs, I was able to get a 3 1/2 inch 10 shot string 25 yards using 25 grs of FFF. I then tried 30 grs and got a 2 1/2 5 shot group. The pistol is dead on with 30 grs but 3 inches to the left. How do you move my POI on a colt?

Thanks for the help from everyone. I am very happy camper.

File the right side of the sight notch or slim down the front sight so you can move it over in the rear notch.

Congratulations...and you're welcome!

Run a box of balls through the revolver, then start to think about screwing-around with the sights...it just might settle-in some during a normal wearing-in cycle.

If you go to file the notch, take it slow and careful so that you don't wind-up taking off too much meat all at once. This is a job for a day at the range, with a break in-between as well as making sure that the revolver isn't too fouled. This means that you'll need some cleaning solution, patches, cleaning rod, etc. to do the right job.

You shouldn't file the notch with an overly-fouled gun. Remember to cap-off at the line after cleaning the barrel or the cylinder to make sure that you don't get a missfire from wet powder or gunk in the ignition path. A nipple pick in this case is your best friend!

Have fun and don't try to do this in a wind storm!

Dave

I usually break my revolver down after shooting two 5 shot strings. I clean the bore and wipe down the cylinder face. Should I completly clean the cylinder also?

Less reason to clean the cylinder chambers. I wait until the end of the day to clean the cylinder, unless it starts binding due to fouling.

You can just use a little Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine to do the wipe-down of the cylinder face with the cylinder still installed on the frame! This chemical completely emulsifies black powder residue upon contact and also contains a drying agent. The drying agent is good so that if you get the cylinder a little too wet or some of the solution drips down towards the nipples, it will dry by itself! I turn the revolver muzzle-down to do any patching of the bore or cylinders.

After four or five cylinder's worth of shooting, my Walker starts to bind to the point that I need to help the cylinder turn by twisting the cylinder as I cock the hammer. When this happens is during an extended shooting session like the NRA Qualification Matches that I regularly participate in. For these matches I have to shoot 13 balls at each of two targets, 1 at 25 yards and 1 at 50 yards. Then we sometimes do the whole thing again, so that we have more than one chance to upgrade to the next higher level in the Qualifications! When you start "throwing" shots you clean the revolver, it's just that simple!

Dave

I second the rear notch modification - file it on the right side a bit and that changes the "center" of the notch - don't recommend filing the front sight blade.

And as to cleaning whilest you shoot, I use Pyrodex P for my cap and balls and never have to clean anything at all until I'm through shooting. It's available everywhere too. I like traditional black for my rifles but the pistols get Pyrodex.

Back