• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58cal Early Virgina arrived today from Matt Avance at TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When filing the rear sight notch, I start w/ a triangular file to center and the "V" is slightly wider than the needle file's rectangular small side width. After the square notch is filed to depth, the notch is widened w/ a rectangular needle file w/ a smooth small side. Usually I make the notch width twice the width of the front blade as seen while sighting, for hunting....easy "pickup", especially in poor light. After the notch size is achieved, the sides of the notch are angled so as to make the notch wider towards the muzzle side of the sight. This filing is all done at the range w/ the rear sight in place and cardboard is taped to the bbl so the file doesn't mar the bbl finish. Judging from your experience, you'll have your new, beautiful LR shooting w/ accuracy befitting a "squirrel rifle". Asre the triggers...hope you can rectify the 9lb pull on the unset front trigger. I used this same trigger on a Stith Hawken and the unset pull of the front trigger was 4 lbs. Good luck....Fred

roundball said:
The much vaunted Davis triggers are a disappointment...front single trigger pull is unusable at 9 pounds.

Just so you know you're not the only one, my Davis trigger is around 9 lbs unset as well. I probably wouldn't use it unset unless the deer was within 25 yards. It's super crisp when set, though.

Leave it to you to put a negative spin on a positive thread...you obviously know nothing about what you read.

I'll type slower so you can grasp this...I had not shot the rifle yet so there was nothing to really tell about it, the lock, or anything...but I went on to comment that "it worked OK in the garage".

What that means is that the hammer fell, the flint struck the frizzen, glowing bits of steel were shaved off, etc, etc, etc, etc.

You waste so much energy with childish negative attacks on things that you know nothing about :shake:

Trench said:
roundball said:
The much vaunted Davis triggers are a disappointment...front single trigger pull is unusable at 9 pounds.

Just so you know you're not the only one, my Davis trigger is around 9 lbs unset as well. I probably wouldn't use it unset unless the deer was within 25 yards. It's super crisp when set, though.

Thanks, I've followed up with TVM...waiting to hear back

Hmmm, maybe I am wrong, but I just don't think you can have a nice trigger, both set and unset, unless maybe you pay extra for some fine tuning, (not sure how that would be done) I have some guns with set triggers and only use the trigger unset for letting the hammer down, too hard of a pull for shooting. Not slamming set triggers, but I think they are designed to be used in the set position, not in the unset position. That being said, I have come to really like a simple single trigger. If done carefully a single trigger is very close to a set trigger. I guess I would not be too concerned about the unset trigger, (if it were mine) as long as it worked perfect in the set position. By the way, looks like a really nice rifle you got. flinch

Wow, somebody having a bad day? Try some decaf or maybe a valium drip.
No attack meant, no negative spin here. I'm just surprised - I really thought you'd see the clear superiority of a custom gun and it's components over a production gun.
You have a beautiful rifle there and I know you still have a few T/Cs left - I figure if they're in the same room, anyone's gotta see and feel the difference.
First time I handled a Siler lock and the first time I raised a swamped barreled rifle to my shoulder, I thought I was in heaven. I guess in that way, I am still part child, like to think so anyway.
Just surprised after all the gushing you've done over T/Cs that you ain't saying much about your custom gun. :hmm: Makes me wonder.
As for who knows nothing, you've already cleared that up on this forum many, many times. :haha:

Enough BS quibbling, life is wayyy too short and uncertain to waste time like that.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program:

AWESOME rifle Roundball.

I love my 0.62 cal Rice swamped rifled 44 inch barrel with Chambers right handed Early Ketland lock, super premium maple, wooden patch box, brass hardware, and swivels that Matt and Toni sculpted for me last year.

I cannot wait to get home and go firing some more with it.

I have a few shots with it and it is as true as an arrow.

Enjoy your rifle. I found myself just sitting around the house holding onto it and drifting way back in time in my mind to days long gone by.

Congrats!

Doc

:v

flinch said:
Hmmm, maybe I am wrong, but I just don't think you can have a nice trigger, both set and unset, unless maybe you pay extra for some fine tuning, (not sure how that would be done)

I can tell ya it is not easy getting that front trigger light. It takes me 2 to 8 hrs of tinkering to get them right or what I call right, down to 3-4# so they are usable. Usually have to add metal to the front trigger bar & slowly work it down & shape it. The trigger asm. is in & out of the rifle Many Many Many times..... The poundage of the front trigger is all determined by the position of the trigger, shape of the triggerbar & how it engages the sear arm.

And once you find that sweet spot, you have to torque the tang screw the same each time or you can change the trigger pull if you bind the trigger plate. I keep mine with the screw slot parallel to the barrel & just good & snug.

:thumbsup:

It would be nice to have a double set-trigger group where the front trigger was in the 3# range, and I thought that was one of the benefits of the Davis triggers. I could live with the 'take-up slack' issue if I had to, but the front trigger pull weight being almost double digits truly does make this set of Favis triggers "set trigger only".

Birdog6, it sounds like from your modification description, adding the extra material on the bottom of the sear bar not only eliminates some of the take-up slack movement by moving the trigger engagement point down lower...seems like moving that point lower in the trigger arc would improve leverage and reduce pull weight some also.
This front trigger is so strong there may even be an issue with the arm bar dragging against wood or something, but TVM is going to correct it.

There's definitely something out of whack in that heavy pull. I've put Davis triggers in both my GPR's and my hunting pard put one on his. And none of the three tops 4# pull. The takeup is there, though.

It can be done. All my Davis set triggers break at 3-4 pounds unset. Some came that way and some I worked on myself, and if I can do it anyone can. Most of the time something was rubbing and a little polishing fixed it.

Enough BS quibbling, life is wayyy too short and uncertain to waste time like that.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program:

AWESOME rifle Roundball.

Well said Doc. Basset

It really is a great looking rifle for sure...and like several mentioned before it arrived, the swamped barrel just makes it seem as light as a feather...if I hadn't actually weighed it I'd still be thinking it was much lighter than my 9+LB Hawkens.

I should get things tweaked up and into action before long...but if it's not ready for this year's deer season, it won't be the end of the world and I have no interest in rushing it...still have excellent Flintlocks to play with
:wink:

"You waste so much energy with childish negative attacks on things that you know nothing about"

I thought that was the way of the ML Forum..

To those reading this and having a heavy front trigger pull with their set triggers in the unset condition, the way I read it, Birddog didn't add material to the "sear arm". He added material to the top of the front trigger blade and then reshaped it to give it better leverage against the sear arm.

If I had to guess, he created a tapered ramp shape with the high end forward and the low end towards the back of the gun to help give better leverage against the sear arm as the trigger is pulled to the rear.
Both the top of the trigger blade and the bottom of the sear arm would then be highly polished to reduce friction.

Just my guess. :grin:

The weight, long sight radius and swamped barrel make my virginia my bust off hand shooting rifle. It just lines up on target and stays there!

Good luck with the deer Roundball! After what the .58 TC Hawken did to them, I am suprised they aint just laying out in front of the house ready to give up! :surrender:

You know you just jinxed me...now I probably won't fire a shot this fall!
:grin:

I just received my virginia rifle from TVM and the unset trigger trips at about 3 1/2#'s. Mine has a c weight .58cal 42" rice barrel and man does it hold well, the balance is great, shoots like a million bucks to boot. I posted pics., if you guys are interested, my rifle looks quite a bit different.

Latest posts

Back