• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 Remmington smoothbore project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been looking at this from only one angle here and that is as a "snake" gun and thats not the only thing it can do. I think it would also make a heck of a defensive weapon loaded with bigger projectiles. In the vid I tested number six shot and also two number one buckshot pellets, I believe the two buckshot pellets hitting you in the chest an inch apart would be devastating. We could go right down the numbers from there, we got 2 #1s in there so what 3 #2? maybe...for us folk with bad vision it will definately increase your odds!

I've wondered about the versatility of doing such with a .44 cal pistol. Especially if it can be bored, much like your friend had in mind, leaving a form of choke at the end. Maybe it could be used as a small game getter for somewhat close shots (

Just another reason to love a Colt! I have three Pietta Colts and everything interchanges perfectly giving me several different combos. A replacement barrel for the 51 is not but 100 bucks....hmm, I may do just that rod!

I really like the idea of a shorter barrel for the pistol, but I wonder if the longer (8") barrel would be better for making a smoothbore. I'd want to keep it to roughly a 1' pattern at 15 yds if possible.

I'm curious how your friend intended on giving the barrel a form of choke.

I also wonder if it would be good to slightly bore out the chambers a little to that of the barrel. I'd guess that the Dragoon or even Walker cylinder would be roughly the volume of a 2.5" .410 shotshell.

What is the diameter of your barrel now? I'm curious how well the smoothbore would do with a RB. Maybe you could find a .390" RB?

Have you considered some sort of paper cartridge for reloading in the field? Some sort of a shot cup made of thick paper or something?

Not sure on the diameter he said it was 3/8 ID, have thought about several ways of making the reload easier but paper would be the least amount of trouble.

Hate to be a wet blanket this far into the post, but have you checked with BATF about this project. Though all muzzleloading firearms fall under the "Antiques & Curios" category as far as being "guns", boring out a rifled barrel to smooth may actually be manufacturing a shotgun according to Federal law and they get kind'a silly about their rules. I'm not sure about this one but it surely falls under the "better safe than sorry" rule! :hmm:

I'm sure there are no Government
restrictions on the modifications a person can make to a muzzleloading or Cap & Ball revolver.

If the pistol was an original and some idiot wanted to ream out the barrel to remove deep rust pits, the Government couldn't care less.

That's why a lot of people have their rusted out rifle bore barrels bored out to a smoothbore.

Likewise, they can cut the barrel length down to 16" without violating the 18" barrel rule that applies to cartridge smooth bores.

The Governments rules specifically excludes all guns made prior to 1898 from all of those modern cartridge gun rules.
The reproduction guns that copy these pre 1898 guns are included in the exemption.

Good! A friend got into a feud with them back in the 80's about reaming out barrels and I'd heard there'd been some change in regs since but wasn't sure how far they'd gone. At one time the BATF appeared to make up their own rules as they went along. As far as I know, most folks won their suits against them at that time, but it was still time, court fees and attorney fees!!

"The reproduction guns that copy these pre 1898 guns are included in the exemption."

Cartridge smoothbore shot revolvers were once popular and were even fitted with chokes. These have been outlawed for many years (by the NFA of 1934 if I remember correctly) and this includes any made using a replica of or an actual pre '98 revolver. C&B revolvers are exempt. consider adding a screw on choke to one, it should improve the the pattern a lot and would even help offset the effect of the rifling if you didn't smothbore it.

Many years ago, at an antigue gun show, a fellow had a 12 ga revolving cap and ball shotgun. I studied it closely for a few minutes and decided that had to be the dumbest idea ever. It weighed a ton, and required two hands to hold it up There was no way I would have my left hand out on the forearm exposed to powder burns and lead shaving like that. A pistol on the other hand, intrigues me.

I have loaded lead discs in the chambers and fired 5 or 6 led discs out of a cap and ball revolver. Like 5 or 6 little frisbees zinging around out at 20 yards.

disks huh?...gonna have to figure out how to cast some of those, that just sounds wicked.

Brushhippie, looked for the 3/8" punch and can't find the punches I had. Thin lead disk can be punched out of sheet lead. We made lead washers that way several years back.

I will not be shooting roundballs through this one again, It will most likely be loaded with the number 1s or 2s. Ive got Colts for shootin round balls!

Back