• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 gets a rabbit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ParkerHale Enfield p61 musketoon in 58 smooth got me a rabbit at a long 50yds.

longrabbit003.jpg

The load was 90grn equiv of Pyrodex select, backing patch and patched .562 self cast ball.

Just nicked it's back, enough to slow it up for the dog :thumbsup:

Brits.

I've used my 58's for rabbits, but always heads hots at shorter range. That's going some to just knick a back. Kind of like upside-down squirrel barking I guess! :rotf:

That's was a great shot! Excellent photo too!

our dogs could have come from the same litter

DSC03456.jpg

once again a beautiful shot!

CHEERS!

mike

Hey there Britsmoothy!

Congrats on your rabbit and dog!

PS.

Care to expand about your Parker-Hale?

I'm lovin' it!

Brit, you are very brave to hunt those man-killers. I once saw a documentary that showed a wild rabbit biting a man's head off. They had to kill the rabbit with a hand grenade. Be careful.

Excellent shot by the way. Bill

snowdragon said:
Brit, you are very brave to hunt those man-killers. I once saw a documentary that showed a wild rabbit biting a man's head off. They had to kill the rabbit with a hand grenade. Be careful.

Excellent shot by the way. Bill

Tim warned them about the rabbit with the big nasty teeth, but they just wouldn't listen.

KodiakHunter said:
Hey there Britsmoothy!

Congrats on your rabbit and dog!

PS.

Care to expand about your Parker-Hale?

I'm lovin' it!

Thanks gents with your comments :thumbsup:

This Parker Hale is a Birmingham made one, as in it was all made in England. Later ones had their barrels made in Italy I think and later still the whole gun was made in Italy.

Whilst not illegal the licensing authorities will not allow a M/L rifle for hunting with, target use only (go figure)! However a M/L shotgun can be used for hunting so gun makers usualy produce some M/L rifles in smoothbore but we are supposed to only use shot!

I had to do the usual with this Enfield and lift the barrel off the lock of which affects accuracy alot and slick up the trigger some. The heavy hammer takes some getting use to and requires some follow through. It is nice and light to carry too compared to the other Enfields.

I had to remove the standard rear sight parts and save so I could fit my own rear in the Peabody as the standards shoot to high for this kind of hunting.

One day I hope to have a deer in the sights.

Brits.

Tim warned them about the rabbit with the big nasty teeth, but they just wouldn't listen.[/quote]

Not to mention the Nasty Streak a Mile Wide!

Back