• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanted - parts 51” Range Rod wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
components for muzzleloaders
Here's a DIY Option using brass pieces, for rods up to 60" long!

I will add that brass prices sure have gone UP ... so check around for pricing, as the parts appear more expensive than from the last time I made some, no thanks to Bidenomics! I had bought enough to make 3 and they were only about $22 each back then (only a year or 2 ago), plus add a few buck or two for whatever your handle of choice is, e.g., a 2" wooden ball is $1 or so at local hobby store, or other brass needed if you want a T-Handle.

From the picture at the bottom, top to bottom, the parts are:
  • 11/32" OB brass tubing, bought in a 36" length - This is the SLEEVE
  • 5/16" OB thick wall brass tubing, bought in a 6' length (I would only use thick wall tubing here) - This is the MAIN ROD
  • 5/16" ramrod extension, 5/16" OD solid brass, threaded 10-32 on both ends, $5 from Muzzleloaders Builder Supply - These will be the ramrod threaded ENDS
Assembly:

-Cut the ENDS from the 4" extension into two 2" long pieces and remove the male 10-32 stud from one end
-Cut the MAIN ROD to your desired length
-Cut two 3" long sleeves from the larger SLEEVE tubing, your 'sleeve' could be longer if you think YOU need more strength there ...

-Insert the solid END, so that the 10-32 threaded hold show flush, into the 3" SLEEVE - Glue and pin together. I use a LokTite product that makes up space between pieces and permanently bonds them together (epoxy would work too!). Then pin with a brass pin/brad peened into a countersunk hole on each end.

-Then insert the MAIN ROD into the 2" of the SLEEVE on the solid END you just put together - Glue and pin together.

-Do the same for the handle end, making sure the tapped 10-32 female hole is flush at the end. When using 2" or so wooden balls for a handle, I tap drill a 1-1/2" machine bolt 10-32 that's epoxied into the ball, leaving 1/2" out. I also made up a T-Handle too ... but so far have never needed it.

There you go ... a CUSTOM length - light but strong - brass tubed Range Rod for only $25 or so (maybe a tad more with Biden Priceconomics)!

7C9C33D6-BF21-46DE-93AF-30E9BF79C177.jpeg

I had bought multiple sets of these aluminum shotgun rods at gun shows as I needed an extra long cleaning rod as my .54 smoothbore sports a 46 inch longhammock barrel. I can put together all 5 of these and it is plenty long enough and these aluminum shotgun rods are plenty stiff for good cleaning. You want to make sure you get the same name brands as the Hoppe's shotgun rod with the orange 'T' handle won't match up thread wise to the rod I'm currently using. The brand name of this rod with the round black handle may be Bright Bore ?? These 5 rods together measure 55 inches. If I had more rods, I could keep adding more length if needed. This might be an option for you needing a range rod for cleaning a longer barrel.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I had thought of that as well- what about the end part- are there jags for cleaning as well as a worm and ball puller?

I purchased a long 48 inch bench rod and added a 4 or 6 inch extended jag that had a 10/32 tapped hole in the end already. Sorry don’t remember brand or source i got them from.

I had thought of that as well- what about the end part- are there jags for cleaning as well as a worm and ball puller?
There are lots of shotgun cleaning ends that fit those rods. They have the larger threaded end. although it may work well, I have never used my aluminum rod as a ball puller, only for cleaning. The long 1/2 inch hickory ramrod I made with the 2 female ends would be fine as a ball puller as I pinned the ends.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I bought several brass ramrods from October Country in exact lengths that I wanted, including for a Queen Anne pistol.
I had them put female threads at each end, and I can screw in a T-handle and jags for whatever I need.
I take the things off, and it's my underbarrel ramrod. I think I got the #10 threads.
I bet they can make one that would fit your needs.

Back