• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the Renegade in .50 caliber with it's shorter barrel and 48" twist, what's the heaviest bullet design any yall have used and how good of accuracy have you worked up?

I wanna say the Hornady Great Plains HPHB connical weighs in at 385gr?? Was able to get 3 - 4 ingroups at 100 yards using 90 grains of FFg. That being said, I was still very much a novice at that time, meaning I would expect BETTER groups now that I understad BP better... I get tighter groups ten that with that same Renegade (and a .54 GM 1/66 barrel) and PRBs then that now..

No, I haven't tried it out. Asking before I leap!

Looking at the simplified Greenhill formula, that 48" twist can handle a lot of lead.

My .54 renegade shoots the best with hornady great plains conicals as well as when i had my .50 hawken.I found that the t/c maxiballs and maxihunter didn't shoot as good as the hornadys.

410 grain Hornady Great Plains over 80 grains of 777. Factory peep sight at 50 yards. Best was 3 holes touching. Usually inside and inch. 50 cal Renegade.

Thank you all for the info. Looks like I will get a chance to run some tests before too long. The molds on hand are REALs, Lyman, the Lee pistol mold and my own paper patch (altered Lyman 445599). Never know 'til you try!

Back