• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All powders aren't graphite/carbon coated. "Jack's Battle Powder", a proprietary 3F made by Goex for Jack's Powder Keg, isn't coated. I've used a lot of it and without any complaints.

Maybe different people, preferred different grades of powder, same as today? And had the same discussions! Maybe some like fine powder for their pistols.

I have an original long rifle that was made back in that time period. I also have the horn, and the powder measure for the main charge, which is a hollowed out antler tip. Even though the rifle is of small caliber (.40") the measure holds a VERY small charge. Something less than 30 grains. This rifle wasn't just used to shoot squirrels, it was used extensively in some of the Oregon "Indian wars". So, I wonder if super fine powder might not be preferred in a small caliber rifle, maybe to get more shots out of a pound of powder? I am asking, not saying, as that rifle was often so far out in the wild country, that re-supply would have been a problem. This rifle also has a Sublett and Meeks connection.

love to see some pictures

So, if a high voltage charge of electricity hits a pile of black powder it will freely pass thru the outside layer of charcoal or graphite from granule to granule without producing any heat to ignite the powder. That is why static electricity will not cause the black powder to explode.

As for the graphite, it is not added to the black powder to protect it from moisture or humidity.
According to Bill Knight, (Mad Monk), the graphite is added to the corned black powder to facilitate screening it.

Also the "g" used with in the Fg, FFg, FFFg, or FFFFg indicates the powder has been "glazed".
"Glazing" is the process of tumbling the powder to knock off the small sharp corners left from the corning process. It leaves the granules much smoother so it will pour easily thru the packing machines and thru your black powder horn or flask.

According to one source, for large granules (rifle powder) the addition of graphite for a couple of hours of tumbling increases the polish and surface density and the resistance to moisture; http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2016/08/black-powder-xiv-dusting-and-glazing.html

Another source suggested that graphite increased the lubricity of the powder thereby aiding in pouring.

The resistive heating is related to the current passing through a conductor. The static electric current flow we are talking about is minimal and easily carried by the surface conductivity without undue heating. However, given momentary increased current flow, or sufficient current flow over an extended period of time, the resistive heating could meet the flash point temperature for the black powder. My understanding is that a lightening bold is a static electricity discharge.

sparks2.jpg

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

High voltage , no amperage.
It takes 75,000 volts to clear a 1 inch air gap.
It's amperage that does the heating, not voltage.

The static charge must contain sufficient amperage to ignite the powder.
A lightning bolt has between 10,000 and 200,000 amperes of current.

How many amps was that test ?

High voltage , no amperage.
It takes 75,000 volts to clear a 1 inch air gap.
It's amperage that does the heating, not voltage.

The static charge must contain sufficient amperage to ignite the powder.
A lightning bolt has between 10,000 and 200,000 amperes of current.

How many amps was that test ?
Those sparks were a few milli-amperes, but I did the same test using sparks delivering over 1000 amperes, with a different - but same - result; the powder didn't ignite because the duration was too short and most of the energy was dissipated in the air, blowing away the powder grains but not igniting them. This web page (and video at the end of it) shows all the attempts to ignite any type of powder. Spoiler, I was finally successful...
http://ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ignition/eignition.html

At one time in the 70s there was a bp shortage. I managed to buy two 50 lb. kegs of bulk bp to sell in my ml store. I repackaged into 1 lb. freezer boxes, cardboard with a plastic baggie liner. I put the empty box on a postal scale and poured into the box. My work surface was in an old barn behind my house where someone had once stored a huge cast iron professional cooking stove. At one point while pouring I noticed bp dust around me had formed that well known double-loop pattern you sometimes see when playing with magnets and iron filings. I knew static was present and doing that. I had a genuine pucker moment when that happened. Doesn't prove anything except that I probably should have grounded that stove and the metal kegs.

I mean who among us hasn't taken 2 or 3F,, ground it down to finer powder and tried it?,

Grinding down bp doesn't make finer grade powder, it makes dust bp that only gives uncertain results and blows away from the tinest breeze while attempting to prime with it. Ask me how I know.....:p
This is a device sold by E. Christopher Firearms in the 70s when there was a bp shortage and 4Fg was virtually impossible to find on the market. It is a bp grinder. Grind it does. Make 2Fg or 3Fg into 4Fg it does not. I have kept it just for the novelty value.
bpgrinder.jpg

Back