• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing not yet mentioned regarding ball size. Typically a ball .01 or .005 smaller than bore is recommended. Some target shooters do go to bore size or slightly larger for an extra tight fit. So recommended ball for a .45 is .440 or .445. Patch makes up the difference in the bore. As mentioned already, you may want to try both. I have two different .50 caliber rifles. With the same patch material one rifle likes a . 490 and the other a .495.

Thanks for your post guys
This weekend is Muzzleloader season for deer in Missouri. I’m shooting well with the .457 ball a .010 patch and a 100gr charge. I was practicing Sunday 100yds with a better steady, I was about 6" low but I held a 6" group with a couple holes touching. After deer season ill run some test with different ball, patch and powder.

I was just given a 1976 CVA catalog. Under shooting/loading instructions in the back it states that their .45 caliber barrels are bored to .451. It recommends that for maximum accuracy a ball of bore size or slightly larger be used (and they just happen to sell a short starter to help get that ball in the barrel). It goes on to recommend hunting loads using a .433 or .440 ball for ease of loading/reloading in the field.This Catalog lists the Mountain Rifle in .45 and .50 (no Big Bores yet) No Hawkens listed,all of the guns listed were .45 cal with the exception of the Mountain rifle.

My wife bought me The Lyman Black Powder Handbook, I wonder how she knew i wanted it. Thanks Zonie. Unfortunatle i didn't tag a deer, but i bought some .440 and was able to play around with them. .440 with 100gr of FFG and a quick filing or the front sight, at 100 was remarkably more acurate with less drop. I wish i had this book before i built the rifle.

Yeah, I too just bought the Lyman book...... great decision. I did note one thing, with all calibers I have, the most accurate load is USUALLY NOT the heavy load. My .45 likes 70gr of FFG, RB, and .010 lubed patch. Enjoy your new build..... :thumbsup:

ON A NOTE ABOUT SAFETY! From The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual expanded 3rd edition by Sam Fadala. The 45 caliber CVA Kentucky Rife, which is identical with the Jukar\Traditions Kentucky rifle, has a MAXIMUM recommended load of 75 grains FFg black powder.It also states that maximum load listed should be used with caution. I do not mean to hurt anyones feelings here but would like to keep you from a terrible accident or injury to yourself or by-standers! These maximum loading charges are determined by the factory that made your rifle. Playing with 100 gr loads of 3f in this Spanish made barrel is like doing a Proof load every time you shoot it. I do not know what the breech plug or drum threads look like in those things but must tell you your face is on the line every shot you make!

Good advice CaptJoel. I wish everyone could have this kind of info before touching there first load. I originally started out with a 50gr load and then bumped up from there hoping to better my trajectory.

Latest posts

Back