• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 jukar ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ea oneal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a juker 45 i was looking to buy a ball mold and wonder if anybody has this rifle and what ball,patch,powder load to start with .i know ill have to test to find what is the best combo. just
looking for a starting point

I have one of those rifles. Haven't done a lot of testing. Have only shot it at 25 yds. It really likes a .495" ball and 50 grains of 3F.

Your choices for molds will be either .490 or .495. Try different patch sizes and more powder. Have fun! GW

Hi and welcome...

I would start with a .440 ball and .10-.15 patch over 45 gr of real blackpowder if you can get it. The subs will work in a caplock but not as well just make sure you use a volume measure and not weight with the subs.

Um......
I think Gray Whiskers meant to say .440 or .445.

A .490 diameter ball would be a tad tight in a .45 caliber rifle.

Anyway ea oneal, your .45 needs to have .440 or .445 diameter balls to be patched with a good, tight weave cotton material .015-.018 thick.

For fun shooting powder loads, try 45-60 grains of 3Fg black powder or one of the synthetic powders. If you use the synthetic powders, get the pistol granulation. Pyrodex calls it "P".

I had one that was gifted to a lady, I set it up with 445 ball, 60grns of Pyrodex P and an .11 denim spit patch, thing was driving tacks.

Someone else told her that load won't work and loaded it with 440 ball, 45grns of Pyrodex P and a .15 pre-lubed Ox-yoke patch, the thing is driving tacks, :idunno:

I always had good luck with a .440 ball, .010 lubed patch and 60- 70gr of 3Fg.

My Jukar so far likes a .440 ball, .015 patch and 60 grains of 3f. It's a good shooter.

Rick

I have a 45 cal and first tried the .445 ball with .010 patch and 45 grains of 3Fg powder. It shot six inches high and four inches right at 50 yards. :idunno: I switched to .440 ball and .015 patch with the same powder charge and was in the black center of the target at 50 yards. :grin: So get both size balls and different size patches and see what yours likes best. :thumbsup:

i also have a cva hawken .50 never been shot,but i just like the look and feel of the 45 my dad shot this rifle and i saw 1-2inch groups@50yds but dont know what he was loading i want to get it shooting then strip stock for a oil finish and a patch box .not really to use so much i like the dress up on the butt

thanx guy,s ill be asking more i know .after i get this one up an running ill be asking about the 50

Mike the Bore!

It should be a .45 but some of them from time to time are actually .44's and need a .430 round ball. You're probably fine with a .440-.445, but don't necessarily trust it just because it's stamped ".45 caliber".

LD

have a dial mike if it,s a 45 what is the number im looking for .i looked on the net but you get a lot of info but not real fact,s

I'm not real sure what your asking but the bore on a true .45 will measure .450 +/- a thousandth or two.

The rifling grooves will measure .458-.470 depending on who cut the rifling.

If your asking about a micrometer I suggest buying a vernier caliper instead.
It can give outside, inside and depth measurements and generally speaking it will be less expensive.

I've found that the digital vernier calipers are quite accurate despite their low cost. Their only failing is the crummy battery is usually dead the next time you want to use it.

i have a outboard shop so tools to do it are not the problem just the info and thanx i think ill try a.440ball and a .15 patch 50gr of pyrodex as it is all i can find hear . what will be be better rs or p

Probably the "P".

It is close to 3Fg powder which is usually the recommended powder for .45 caliber and smaller bores.

Its smaller size also helps it get thru the internal hole in the breech so it will get close to the bottom of the nipple when the bullet/ball is rammed.

That often prevents delayed ignition many synthetic black powders are known for.

Make sure the hammer is not resting on the uncapped nipple when you ram the ball.

In my .45 kentucky jucker I shoot a .440 cast ball .015 patch lubed with beeswax and crisco and 40 grns of FFFg for target and plinking. 65 grains of FFg for deer hunting.

I've always done well in mine with ff but I never tried fff mostly because of the old guidelines to use certain grain powders only in certain caliber guns. It now would seem that way of thinking is not always true and next time I take it out, I will try fff.

Latest posts

Back