• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What rate of twist do you favor in a .40 cal flinter --- roundball target use only. I have seen where they range from 1:48 to 1:72. Wondered what would be any advantages of a slower rate. Trying to decide on a barrel. Thanks

My original .40 Leman flintlock has a 47" barrel and appears to have one complete twist from breech to muzzle. I can't say if it's accurate or not because I can't see worth a darn and flinch like a greenhorn when the pan flashes. It must've been a prefered rate of twist for Henry Leman though who had some experience in the subject. Fred

AAA6.jpg

AAA2.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

Several 40s with 1/66 twist with .012 deep rifling. They work so well, I ain't found a reason to try anything else.

Fella that built 2 of them used a 1/48 twist in his .40. We were always at the head of the line when awards were handed out.

Just pick a twist and be sure to have rifling .010 to .013 deep for a PRB then find what it likes.

My nephew and his youngest boy shoot 40 cal douglas barrels with one in 66 twist. And they shoot very very very well.

I've had good luck with 1-66. When H&H barrel was in business, Hoppy made me one in 1-42 twist and told me this would change everyones mind. Built it into a Leigh valley rifle and somebody bought it before I ever got to shoot it. Has anybody ever played wih a 40 with that fast a twist? The Leman Trade rifle I gave my son had a .53 gain twist so an't help you on that part.

Dick

The closest experience I have to that is my GM 33" x 1:48" barrel and its incredibly accurate for just me...imagine what it would be like in the hands of an actual top notch shooter

I have wondered about this myself. I don't know because I don't have one[yet], but I have heard that you can shoot more powder out of the slower twist. Load it up a little for bigger game I guess. Does anyone have a .40 with a 1-72 twist? If so please chime in.

My .40 flintlock has a 1-48 in a Ed Rayle barrel...I use 25grs fff for squirrels and have used as much as 70grs fff with no adverse effect on accuracy...

Guess like most everything, there is no cut and dried solution. Personal preference seems to be the way to go. Thanks for all the input.

Back