• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends are shooting 178 gr S&W .40 bullets patched with butter paper out of their .40s and getting good results. They use a Lee mold. One barrel is a 13/16" Green Mountain and one is an A weight Colerain.

I tried the 148gr S&W .40 with air mail paper patching out of my Green Mountain barrel and I couldn't hit the side of a barn.

I tried and tried and never could get consistent results with paper patched bullets in my GM .40.
My take on it was that it needed more inertia in the weight of the bullet to fill rifling that deep and the slow twist wasn't fast enough to work with heavier bullets. I'd be getting a good group and thinking maybe I'd finally found the magic combination and then (oh no,crushing defeat) the flyer.
Also before giving up, .41 revolver molds were sized on the hind end to bore diameter and loaded as maxi-balls engraving on the front.
There is definitely a way to do it, undiscovered as yet for getting consistent results. But I don't know what it is. Best that I did was with paper patches that let me crank up the RPM's as fast as could.
Maybe paper patches and a bigger hollow base would have done the trick. Could try that.

pappy237,
My GM has got lands narrower than 50:50 with the grooves.
Does your Rice barrel have grooves wider than that?

Back