• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.395 balls..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxgrampa

45 Cal.
Reaction score
greetings,

does anyone know if speer or hornady makes a swaged .395 ball??

TIA and ..ttfn..grampa..

Yup, Hornady do. I have used them though now I have a pair of single cavity Lyman .395 moulds I cast exclusively; normally one BIG batch a year.

I have not seen any in either brand, but I have not looked for them in about 10 years...Have a .395 Lymann mold and will send you 100 pure lead round balls if you like...Let me know... :) ...The Lizard...

xxgrampa said:
greetings,

does anyone know if speer or hornady makes a swaged .395 ball??

TIA and ..ttfn..grampa..
I've always used Hornady's but shoot a lot, don't cast, and that can get expensive.

Birddog6 put me on to Eddie May in Georgia...he casts balls and sells at Friednship, Dixie, etc.

100% pure lead cast .395's are $33/1000 and I've personally run two side by side tests at the range now, first shooting groups with my Hornday's and then groups using those from Eddie May...can't tell any difference...and his .395's mic very consistently too.

He doesn't have a web site but here's his contact info:

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225

His slogan:
"Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets"...Please Call or Write to place Order.

greetings all,

thanks to all for the excellent info..

and a special thanks to thelizard for your very generous offer. i'll remember it for a long time.

think the swaged balls for the short term then the eddie may for the long term.. that will keep me shooting till the eddie's get here.

thank you all very much and ..ttfn..grampa..

I use Hornady .395's. They can be had from Track, Log Cabin, and Mid South Shooters Supply, and others I'm sure.

xxgrampa said:
"...think the swaged balls for the short term then the eddie may for the long term.. that will keep me shooting till the eddie's get here...
Lucked out last fall...stumbled across an auction and bought all 10 boxes of Hornady .395's that he had for $25 delivered.
:grin:

The local Bass Pro here used to carry the Hornady swaged balls, including the .395s, but they quit. I am down to about 50 rds of the .395s--so glad to get the references here for other sources. Actually the .395s ought to last me a while, as I rarely shoot my .40 rifle--it being sorta odd man out legally here in Lousyanna. I have read of tests that didn't find much if any accuracy advantage in using swaged balls over properly cast ones, but they are easy to load fast, not having to mess with aligning the sprue...

hey round ball,

that's part of your reward for living a good life.. :grin:

..ttfn..grampa..

greetings all,

called eddie may, ordered the .395's. while i was on the phone ordered some .445's and 495's as well. the shipping for all the balls was only $8.00 :grin:.

the bad news was, it will be 3-4weeks to get them made. :(

thanks again to all for your help.. :hatsoff:

..ttfn..grampa..

Yeah, the somewhat new USPS flat rate carton is a fantastic deal...as long as you can fit it inside the carton it doesn't matter what it weighs.

If the cast balls you receive are of the high quality that mine are you'll be more than satisfied.

And to tell the truth I'm not sure there would be enough difference in savings to bother casting them yourself when you consider his prices...

I just got off the phone with Eddie also. The 395's have gone up to $40.00 per 1000. I also order some 350's to try in my 36 Seneca. They are $35.00 per 1000. They will all go in the same box for $8.60.

Joel Lehman, Austin TX

hi ho round ball. yep that shipping is a good deal. thanks for putting me on to eddie..

BTW. while i was talking with eddie, found out he makes all the balls for dixie. so if anyone is shooting dixie, they are shooting eddies' stuff..

greetings billinO,

bought a tvm form one of the posters on this board. never had a 40 got a lot of everything else, but no 40's. after ordering 1000 395's, hope it doesn't need a .390 :shocked2:

..ttfn..grampa..

hello joel,

if you want an easy accurate load in that 36 seneca, try some 38 hollow base wadcutters with a 38 special case of 3F. super accurate and they allmost slide down the barrel.

..ttfn..grampa..

PS... to round ball

you are rite about buying the balls at that price, got too many guns that i must cast for. anytime you can ease the load at that price, go for it..

tt.g

Back