• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 vs .40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want a light recoiling gun which will be extremely accurate. I now have a .50, 54 and.62 which I enjoy shooting, but would like something without quite so much recoil. What are the differing opinions on the two cals. :confused:

what do you plan on doing with it? hunting or paper punching or both?

I totally enjoy my .40, NO kick, I can load down if need be, in fact, my target load out to 75 yds is 30 gr 3F and it will consistantly hit gongs out to 150 if I do my part.

Of you are going to punch targets the .40 has an edge; and some folks like it as an all-round caliber...For small game I prefer the .36 or .32 and for big game the stuff you already have. In Lousyanna the .40 is illegal for either small or big game, so check your local laws. I have a nice accurate .40 that sits over my mantle; I sold my .36 years ago and use a .32 for the small game...

My .40 seems not to foul as much as my .36. The .40 gets my vote. Best idea is with all the others you have you might as well get both.

I've never owned a .36 but I'm a huge fan of the 40. It's probably my favorite of all the calibers.

'Skinner, If you want another vote in favor of the .40, then count mine too. Le Grand

I don't own one of them (would like to) but seems many target shooters prefer the .40 - have seen all .40's in the target rifles I've seen.

I shot a .36 when I first started out in this. I shot it for over 15 years. I sold it to a man who lives overseas so I would not see it anymore! I still shoot the big bores but my favorite rifle to shoot under 250 yards, is a .40 It beats the .36 in every single way. :thumbsup:

I've never owned a .36 but I do love my .40Cal. I can load down for very pleasant target shooting. I use 25g 3F sighted at 50 yards. I still use this load out to the 100 yard gong, by just aiming at the top of it.

It seems to me the smaller the caliber you get, the less it will cost you to shoot it. That is why I want a .32 or maybe a .36. Traditions makes some really nice looking .36's. Check out their website.

I had a 40 but sold it wish I still had it. I still have my 36 and love it for small game,and round balls are easier and cheaper to get for it.

My next barrel for the latest Underhammer addition will be a .36 because of the available rb's out there in the form of Buck shot.

I have owned multiples of most of them, 32, 36, 38, 40, 44, 45, 50, 54, 58, 62.

If you want flat shooting, low recoil, very accurate, go with the .40 cal. It bucks the wind better than the 32 or 36, has more Umph at 100 yards, little bit larger to handle for my clumbsy fingers, and if you want to zip it along it will do over 2000 FPS with a round ball & knock the snot out of a coyote at 100 yards. Or drop it to 15 grains of Swiss or GOex & shoot 1 hole groups at 25 yards.

Also it will knock over the sihoulette plates at 100 yards & the .32 & 36 will not, just not enough Umph in them.

Just a all around Superb caliber & my favorite in a smallbore rifle....

:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back