• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 kit rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the gun at Deer Creek is in your price range and they have had caplocks in this style and price range in the past, you might find out from them if they are going to have it in a caplock sometime in the near future. Depending on your purse and how soon you want it, that might be a possible option for you. I usually don't recommend a flintlock for a first gun because it does require a small bit of fiddling that is not required on a caplock plus a flintlock requires real black powder only. It will not work with any of the substitutes. So, in your case, if you have a source of real black powder and have the little bit of patience it takes to master the flintlock, you will love it and probably never want to go to a caplock. Flintlocks just have an endearing quality about them. Also, if you do a good job of assembling it, you can always trade it for a caplock if you find that you don't fall into the category of those of us who love flintlocks.

Gene L said:
Well, I don't know about that. A caplock is faster and I can't see a single area where it's not superior to a flintlock. Except for the cool factor. But the OP wanted a caplock rifle, which is not a bad choice.

Gene L, you're right ... I missed that detail. As far as being faster (in lock time) I will concede that cap lock guns are a bit quicker of the mark than flint, but if all you're after is locktime, then muzzle loaders is probably not your 'cup of tea.'

As regards having fun, I still come down on the side of flint, if for no other reason than they're a bit more finicky, so when you do get one 'up and running,' there's a good bit more satisfaction.

On the other hand, if the fellow wants a caplock, he should get a caplock ... he can always fall victim to the addiction of rockbanging at a later time.

Either way...

make good smoke!

He did say he wanted a nipple hugger unless he could be talked in to a real gun er ah flintlock.
Lots of dyed in the wool front stuffers love them cap guns. Spend Thier whole life shooting them.
However if the op thinks he could be talked in to a rock in the lock he will most likely jump on the flinter band wagon.
Buying a kit for flinter and even do a poor job he would get his money back selling it as parts only. A half way decent job he would recap his cash if he was one of them Lilly liveried milk drinking souls er ah nice guys that wants to shoot cap guns :rotf:

I know you said you aren't interested in spending more than $600.00 and I understand. You may want to take a look at the kits from Jim Kibler. They are more ($950.00 plus $30-60 for shipping in the U.S.)but it is an easy kit for beginners(from what I have read) as well as very high quality components.

Not that I am an instigator but love stirring up a bit of controversy! I guess I should really put more info and put this in some context. I am bored, I do some ametuer gun smithing ( mostly simple stuff and refinishing) on old Stevens and similar guns for fun. They are getting so hard to find I can't keep myself in project guns. This seemed like something interesting to do. I hunt with one of those impure, wicked inline things with a leupold on top of it and was looking for a small game/ pinker with low recoil just to play with. I have an established history of getting bored quickly and buying/selling many guns on emotional whims. I do not have a source for Bp but do not doubt I could find it. If I have to do a lot of fiddling with it I will probably sell very quickly. I tend to sight in, put in safe, shoot once every 3 years. Thought this might keep me interested in plinking a while. I could really spend any amount up to 2500 or so, just don't see it for this type of gun. I'd build out another AR before putting it in a black powder. No disrespect meant to anyone but that is just how I am. The suggestions are great, I already sent a message to deer creek and have certainly enjoyed the banter here!

Thanks for making that clear.
You have saved valuable time and effort in composing a response for those of us who do see the value in this type gun.

Well if your afraid you will get board the cheaper the better. If ARs float your boat then one shot a minute may not.
That said traditional ml have a deep deep well of new and exciting stuff to learn, one can never master it. The road runs cap lock to flint lock, rifle to smooth bore. And much like the road across the country there are endless off ramps. Even detours in to wheellocks and match locks with off road adventures in Asian guns and Arab African and Euopean African guns.
Over fourty years ago I got board with suppository guns, never board since.

Interesting, that you say you bore easily and yet you enjoy AR's. Maybe it's the multi shots?

I have a modern falling block Ruger and shooting it, quite frankly, bores the hell out of me.
I even took to using the target staples as the target to see how many shots it would take to cause the target to fall off of the backer board.
Even that challenge became boring after a while.

Muzzleloading rifles on the other hand never are boring.
For paper punchers, they mix precision target shooting with on site reloading.

When you look at the number of different powder charges, powder granulation (2Fg, 3Fg), Brands of powder (Goex, Schuetzen, Swiss, Olde Eynsford all shoot differently), powder types (real BP or synthetics with percussion guns), patch thickness, ball size and patch lube you have millions of different combinations.

Your task, if you choose to take it, is to find the best combination.

Once you do, if you shoot at a shooting range you'll find the satisfaction of boggling the minds of the other shooters when you put all of your shots into a tight group while they are spraying the countryside with lead can't be beat.

Anyway. If I really want to shoot accurately, I choose one of my percussion rifles.

If I want to really challenge myself, then, I choose a flintlock.

Getting back on track, if you ever decide to try building one of the "kits" from suppliers like Pecatonica River, I recommend a flintlock for your first gun.

Successfully building a flintlock rifle is easier than building a percussion gun from that box of rough castings and the partially inletted stock that will need at least 20% of the wood removed to approach being "right". (Both take a lot of work.)

I think you'll find that many of us used to be just like you. We bored easily. Then someone showed us muzzeloaders and now we are hooked. If going out to the range and blowing off 20/30 shots as fast as you can is fun to you then you'd better look elsewhere but if I had to guess part of the fun for you atleast initially is the new gun then this is the sport for you. Personally I would start with a decent flintlock rifle and see where it goes from there, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you give it an honest try you will soon be looking to build one from scratch, and if you ever get bored just get/build yourself a smoothy. Just saying give it a try but make sure you can afford it it is addicting. I'm almost to the point where I may never pick up another center fire again, unless it is for self defense or defense of my county or rights.

Exactly what I am hoping to accomplish with this. I really meant no disrespect 54ball. I am quite bored with shooting in general. I still have a love and passion for firearms but after a while it becomes a choice of big bang or little bang, scope or not and that's it. I really hope I will create a go-to shooter every time I go out. I normally don't shoot at a range so a lot of plinking is more what I do. I agree with the cheaper/better thing but want something decent (thus the original mid-range thought) The feedback has been invaluable because I really don't have a clue about what is on the market. I have seen the kits since I was a kid and always thought I might enjoy building one. My biggest obstacle is I remember those kits being under $150 so the rather large uptick in price is giving me sticker-shock. Still waiting on Deer Creek to get back with me hopefully I will get good news.

Gene L said:
Well, I don't know about that. A caplock is faster and I can't see a single area where it's not superior to a flintlock. Except for the cool factor. But the OP wanted a caplock rifle, which is not a bad choice.

Not true; a good flintlock is WAY more fun :grin: (unless you go for a cheap one; then they are not fun at all) :cursing:

Pete G said:
Gene L said:

Not true; a good flintlock is WAY more fun :grin: (unless you go for a cheap one; then they are not fun at all) :cursing:
It's hard to think of a time when a suppository gun isn't better then any ml, except the fun department. I got to say I don't notice any slowing in ignition between a flinter and a cap. I know it's there, but I have shot flinter for so long I don't feel it.

I can tell the difference quite easily. At any rate, we're not comparing centerfires to MLs, we're comparing flint locks to cap locks. For ignition and possibly, accuracy, caps get the nods from me.

Your right, flints are just a new level to fiddle with. I know what will happen when I touch off a load, so what I experience is what I expect. And I don't notice any delay, I expect I've just gotten so use to it.
Is it more accurate? Maybe I can't say. I've had caps pop. I've had flash in the pans. Flint has served me well from far below 0 through heavy rains and snows and windy days.
Of corse the only thing a ml can do for you is give you fun. Caps are just to simple, or just to convient to abandon. Flints are a blast, or to much of a pia to play with.
Rifleman 1776 says it's a do your own thang type of game, and that's a truism.

Wishforfish said:
My biggest obstacle is I remember those kits being under $150 so the rather large uptick in price is giving me sticker-shock. Still waiting on Deer Creek to get back with me hopefully I will get good news.

Think of it this way then. A big part of the rice difference is that everything goes up in price. The same CVA kit that was my first ML that cost me right around $150, now has "Traditions" stamped on it and goes for $300-400. The other part of it is you get what you pay for. Think of it as building an AR. Yeah, you can get a cheap one built with bargain bin parts and it will shoot. But think about how much smoother and more accurate it will be when you use true quality parts. Does that make more sense now?

You want to remove the boring factor? Get a flintlock and join a local muzzleloading club. Mastering a flintlock takes some work...right charge, right powder, right patch, right size ball, etc. Then if you belong to a muzzleloading club, you have lots of help in finding exactly what your rifle wants and you have the fun of shooting with good friends. They have lots of fun shooting games along with some paper punching. You also need to get Dutch Schoultz' Muzzleloading Accuracy method www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com Many of us on this forum have it and use it and we will all tell you that it is one of the best investments of $20 you will ever make in your new muzzleloading hobby. I can't say that you will never get bored with a flintlock, especially if you belong to a muzzleloading club, but you will have to work at getting bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a Track kit in .32 and a capper. I shot it a lot, killed squirrels in my backyard and in the mountains, and then converted it to flint. Never looked back.

Back