• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32cal thought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffnh243

36 Cal.
Reaction score
seen a thread here about using cast pistol bullets as conicals In the 32cal rifles but cant seem to find it. I was just now thinking that tracks sells a .323 diameter round ball. has any one ever tried one with an op wad and no patch? What were the results?

I my self shoot a cast .311 ball from a lee mold. a .010 patch and .15 grains of goex FFFg. shoots sub moa at 50 yars of the bench.

If you are wanting it for a rifle...
The biggest problem with a 32 pistol mold is going to be that the bullets will fall out of the blocks at about .313"-.314" diameter. A .32 cartridge pistol is really smaller than .32".
Something that might work is paper patching the .32 pistol bullet up to your bore diameter.
But (man, there's always another "but" with this stuff) in that small of a bore a pretty fast twist is necessary.

GoodCheer said:
If you are wanting it for a rifle...
The biggest problem with a 32 pistol mold is going to be that the bullets will fall out of the blocks at about .313"-.314" diameter. A .32 cartridge pistol is really smaller than .32".
Something that might work is paper patching the .32 pistol bullet up to your bore diameter.
But (man, there's always another "but" with this stuff) in that small of a bore a pretty fast twist is necessary.
not really wanting it. Im happy with my 310 ball and.15 patch. all the info You mentioned was in that other thread. Im asking if anyones tried the .323 round ball with out a patch as an alternative to patching pistol bullets or maxi balls. seems to me that in a slow twist barrel it should work out better than the pistol bullets or maxi balls :idunno:

ffnh243 said:
Im asking if anyones tried the .323 round ball with out a patch as an alternative to patching pistol bullets or maxi balls. seems to me that in a slow twist barrel it should work out better than the pistol bullets or maxi balls :idunno:

I'd be real worried about leading. How would you apply lube? My experience with bare lead in rifled bores is not encouraging.

BrownBear said:
I'd be real worried about leading. How would you apply lube? My experience with bare lead in rifled bores is not encouraging.

That makes alot of sense, main reason I prefer a patched ball to a conical.

At one time I thought about trying .330 ball that way but declined due to certain leading. A Lee cast .311 ball and .015 patch works in my Crockett.

ffnh243 said:
BrownBear said:

That makes alot of sense, main reason I prefer a patched ball to a conical.

There might be a "work around," but it would be pretty fiddly getting set up, and just might not work anyway in a rifle.

For many years I shot RB loads in both 44 mag and 357 handguns, casting balls just the right diameter from wheelweights, seating them down just flush with the case mouths, then smearing bullet lube in the little gap between the ball radius and the case mouth. They didn't lead up at the very low velocities I was shooting them (gallery loads ~350fps), but ball diameter had to be just right even then.

If you cast wheelweight balls that were just bore diameter, seated a lubed felt wad between the powder and ball, then another on top of the ball, you might get away with it at low vel, probably no more than 1200fps (and more like 700-800 fps based on casting experience with cartridge guns), leading might not be an issue. Sure fiddly though, like I said.

Back