• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 v 36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a thing for small calibers and so I've got a hankerin' on adding a .32 or .36 caliber percussion to my flock. 99% use for target/plinking, but there is that small chance that I could go squirrel hunting during ML season

So... ignoring what may or may not be available for sale, differences in models/makers/etc. and just focusing on the bore diameter and calibers.... is there any reason to select one over the other?

How dexterous are your fingers? The 32 caliber balls can be hard to manipulate with large fingers.

The 32 will be more susceptible to wind, but ranges for hunting squirrels are short.

36 caliber balls (0.350" diameter) will be easier to find at a local gun store.

Both are economical to shoot.

I have chosen the 36 caliber.

Grenadier 1758 hit all the points that I was going to make. I have both calibers, in flint & percussion, but I find I lean towards the .36 due to arthritis in my fat fingers. I can handle the .36 balls better, but i do love the .32 for its economy.

I've hunted and shot targets w..32 and .36. . My favorite is the .40 , with 395 patch round ball. Lower the powder charge for small game , and boost the powder charge for coyotes , ground hogs etc.. Very versatile , and makes a 5 LB light wt. longrifle. The larger size balls are easier to handle , too.

Not all that much difference between them. But I prefer the .36 as an all around small caliber. I've mostly killed squirrels with the .32 but really like both. The real advantage of having a .36 is that it can easily take larger varmints. I also do a little more shooting with the .36 over the .32. If I wanted a dedicated squirrel rifle it would be a .32. But if I wanted a squirrel rifle that I could use for bigger critters such as coyotes it would be a .36. Either choice is a win-win situation.

How dexterous are your fingers? The 32 caliber balls can be hard to manipulate with large fingers.

The 32 will be more susceptible to wind, but ranges for hunting squirrels are short.

36 caliber balls (0.350" diameter) will be easier to find at a local gun store.

Both are economical to shoot.

I have chosen the 36 caliber.

Fingers do OK loading my mouse farts (762x39 w/ a 85gr .312" pistol bullet) and the muzzle loader has much more room to work around than the small spot in my single stage press :)

.36 vote. For ease of cleaning etc. Ramrod will be a bit stouter.

The stouter ramrod does sound like a better option

I've hunted and shot targets w..32 and .36. . My favorite is the .40 , with 395 patch round ball. Lower the powder charge for small game , and boost the powder charge for coyotes , ground hogs etc.. Very versatile , and makes a 5 LB light wt. longrifle. The larger size balls are easier to handle , too.

Like I said, minimal chance of actually using it for small game and for anything larger than squirrel I do have both a .45 and .50 muzzle loader

Back