• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Cherokee Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.M.

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my un-fired Cherokee out for it’s second range session. After the first, I wasn’t happy with it’s performance. It shot patterns, not groups. Patches were completely shredded on some, others, perfect. After cleaning it, I gave it a mild run-through with 0000 steel wool.
Well yesterday was no different. Patches showed the same. I tried charges of 3F Goex from 15-30 grains. .310”-.315 balls. Patches were pillow ticking, lubed with bear grease. An unlubed over-powder wad was used. The un-shredded patches showed no burn-through. I think the crown might get a bit of polishing today.
The first session was about 35 shots, and yesterday probably the same. I’m hoping that all it needs is more range time, but it sure is disappointing. This little girl should be a one-holer. I’m sure not giving up yet, but it is a lot more work than I was envisioning.

Your rifle may just need to be shot some to break it in. My 32 Cherokee will shoot pretty much into one hole at 25 yds. I use 20 grains of 3F Goex and a 15 thousands patch and a Hornady RB of .310 dia. Patch is lubed with wonder lube on ox yoke prelubed patches.

You may need a snugger patch/ball arrangement. I usually go to a thicker patch, then a bigger ball and a thin patch. Lubes can do allot for helping the loading and the patch hold together. I have one gun, that I just can't seem to get a snugger patch/ball combo, that I can comfortably load. So I fold up a greased lubed patch over the powder than the patched ball and it then it groups awesome.Now,I can also change powder brands, but I am using Swiss and I really like Swiss, that is why I am doing it this way. If I were to use Goex, I wouldn't need the extra patch over the powder. All the things you can learn at the range.

Scrub it with the 0000 steel wool.It won't hurt.Mine likes 20grs of FFFg,.310 RB,and .010 pillow.Great squirrel combo for head shots to 40yds.Keep at it and you will find what it likes.They are great little guns. :thumbsup:

Stick with it and locate what's tearing your patches & do a fix and you should be O-K.

Good luck and sorry to hear that you're working so hard for it. :thumbsup:

Dave

Latest posts

Back