• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F > 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay let's say someone normally shoots 100 grains of 2F out of their rifle. If they wanted to use 3F instead, what would the equivalent load be? Assume all possible variables such as powder brand, projectile, and all that junk to be equal.

Roughly 10% less 3f. I'd drop to 85 as a matter of course, then back up to 90 to see what's what. I move back and forth between 2f and 3f all the time in 50, 54, 58 and 62 calibers, depending on which I have in greater supply at any given time. My accuracy only improves/deteriorates a little with the swap, but am acquainted with friends' rifles that are lots pickier between the two, accuracy-wise.

If someone is shooting 100grns of 2f they're shooting too much to begin with.

There is no true linear comparison, they burn differently, and different volumes react differently. It's primarily about bore size and length and efficiant use.

Even as you describe with all variables the same one cannot say 100grn 2f equals 80grns of 3f or whatever,,it doesn't work like that.

Someone might get by with saying 5-10-15% less??
I don't know, I've always just used the powder that works best in the gun through experimentation

You have to remember that 3f granulation is finer and it burns little faster than 2f, that's why recoil-wise, 3f hits your shoulder a little harder. At least from experience and from what I read here. Imagine big ball slowly pushed against your shoulder and a ball that is just whacked against it. Of course everyone is different. I'm 5'7", and 165 lbs, and I feel the difference. with about 70-80gr of ffg in my .62 fusil I'm good. Larger loads are little more punishing sometimes even though I shot a lot 30-06s, .308s and 7.62x54R. It's a big chunk of lead. Good luck

If you are talking “safe”, 10% or 15% less is probably a good bet. If you are talking velocity maybe not!

Exact reduction is something that can be determined with a chronograph. But for myself I just drop down 10% when going from FF to FFF. And get the same accuracy and I assume the same velocity.This gives me 110 shots with FFF for the same amount of powder as 100 with FF. With the price of powder going up that is significant! :idunno:

If someone is shooting 100grns of 2f they're shooting too much to begin with.

That statement is simply too broad a brush. :shake:
I agree, with most rifles it would be a whoomper stomper and more than most of us would use for paper punching.
But, depending on caliber, twist and desired results, it might be just what he needs to bring down a wild beastie critter.
We don't know what he is shooting or shooting at.

Yeah, your right. I've always been a proponant of accuracy and I have seldom seen supurbe accuracy with loads that push or are at max.
There are always those that feel adament about max loads because they just know a muzzle loader isn't a modern weapon and need max loads to do anything.
Just like folks that load their own CF stuff, "gotta max're out,,need velocity don't cha know"

I must clarify. I picked 100 grains because it was a nice round number. It would also be the easiest to figure percentages from. Thought it may not be an exact science, I am just looking for a general amount to reduce/increase loads by when switching between 2F and 3F. When I bought my case of powder I got 10 pounds of each in the mix and I figure toward the end, if I have a lot more of one left than the other, I may play around with switching. :p

Back