• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 Underhammers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc45-70

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are some photos of a couple underhammer rifles I just finished.

Both rifles have Colerain tapered 62 cal barrels.
Both have maple stocks.

12.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

On the scoped rifle I cut the barrel to 32 inches.

4.jpg

I also poured a pewter nose cap.

1.jpg

3.jpg

I made the scope mounts.

8.jpg

11.jpg

The unscoped rifle does not have a cheek piece or any cast in the stock so it can be used by either a right or left hand shooter.

SC45-70

:v Wow!! Very nice work! I've always had a warm spot for underhammer guns, simple and reliable. :bow:

:thumbsup: very nice work. seeing these makes me want to start a new project.

Very interesting and well done.
Other than personal wants, is there a reason for scoping the rifle?
And, is that a current made repro? It, too, is interesting. Does the front mount have a 'wiggle' feature for adjustments?

My eyes aren't what they used to be, besides I've had that scope sitting around for years and didn't know what to use it on.
Mostly just to be different!

The scope is a modern reproduction.

The front mount is a loose(wiggle) fit on the scope tube with a small spring to hold the scope in place and dovetailed base for windage.

In responce to everyone else, Thank you for your interest!

SC45-70

Thank you!
What do the targets look like? Unholy (no holes) :rotf: I just assembled the rifles before I took the pictures and have not got to the range yet because of the weather.

The wood was half stock rifle blanks I hand picked from TOTW

SC45-70

I hope recoil doesn't push that fine looking scope arround.
I had a shorter brass scope similar to yours on a .58 Zouave, and it was hard to keep the scope in place, until I put Loc-Tite on the scope mounts attached to the scope.
My .58 UH does have a fair bit of recoil.
Fred

Old Ford said:
I hope recoil doesn't push that fine looking scope arround.
I had a shorter brass scope similar to yours on a .58 Zouave, and it was hard to keep the scope in place, until I put Loc-Tite on the scope mounts attached to the scope.
My .58 UH does have a fair bit of recoil.
Fred

Thanks for your concern Fred but I don't think recoil will be a problem as I have a 58 cal. UH with the same scope and mounts.
That 58 is about 1 lb. lighter than the 62. and the scope has never moved.

If the scope does ever move I will just make a scope stop to cure the problem.

SC45-70

:photoSmile: But I am unable to post photos to this forum. :idunno:
I built an underhammer rifle quite similar to yours but with a Long Hammock .45 cal barrel. I got the parts from Deer Creek in Waldron, IN. He used to build the H & A buggy rifles and still had several of the parts sitting on shelves. I went there and asked about them and he went out in his very cluttered shop and then to his warehouse and came back with most of what I needed. I had to send the action off to Long Hammock to get a barrel fitted to it. I then took the stack of parts and built a very servicable rifle. I sure wish I had the beautiful wood that you used. Mine is pretty plain but it works. In building it, I ran into a slight problem. In order for the ramrod to fit under the barrel, the underbarrel lugs have to be quite short. When drilling the holes through the stock and the underlugs for the stock pins, one must be very careful. I built a carrage to hold my stocked rifle in place on the drillpress while I drilled the holes. Somehow I managed to let the drill bit wander and ended up drilling a hole through the side of the barrel and into the bore. When I found out what I had done, I danced about and uttered some rather strong epithets. :cursing: Then I ordered another barrel. $200 right down the drain. :( The hole is close to the middle of the barrel and if I cut it off and rebreached it, that makes it too short for any practical use. The twist rate is 1:66 and that is too slow for a pistol barrel. Guess I'll just have to drill more holes and make a piccolo out of it. :haha: The finished rifle is a tackdriver. The only complaint that I have about an underhammer rifle is the occasional sting on my arm from flying cap fragments. I have taken to wearing a long sleeve denim shirt when shooting my underhammer. When it is just too hot for a long sleeve denim shirt, I wear an armguard that I made of canvas. Still, I love my little lightweight rifle. I kind of wish I had put a .32 cal barrel on it because a .45 is, in my estimation, too big for squirrel hunting but the rifle is the perfect weight for carrying all day in the woods. Hmmmm... :hmm: ...maybe I'll just have another barrel put on it. They are very easy to change out, loosen four set screws and pull it out of the action. Yeah, a second barrel, that's the ticket. :thumbsup:

Two latest ones off my bench
54cal

Media_full_crop.jpg

No, the Nikon isn't quite HC, it wasn't my choice but it does have real clear optics :wink: 36cal

Media_left_full.jpg

Back