• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th century Speed Loading Technique?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a copy of HOW AMERICA WAS WON 1776 ”“ 1976 back in the 70’s and it has what the book purports to be a speed loading technique by placing extra balls between the fingers of the non-shooting hand for faster reloading.

“The hand on the gun. Fighters started young in America. Many Fathers trained their sons from early age to shoot their rifles faster. By holding small lead balls between the finger joints [ close to where they connect to the palm of the hand] ”“ all day long if necessary ”“ the youngster induced cavities to form which were enlarged by increasing the size of the balls. After years of practice the balls would stay in place ”“ regardless of the other uses to which the hand was put. When firing their rifles most men loaded powder and wad and then rammed these down the barrel. Then they reached into a belt pouch, selected a lead ball, and forced it home by using a ramrod. However, experts who had developed the special cavities could, after pouring in powder, simply tap the back of the hand against the muzzle ”“ thereby placing a ball ready to be rammed. This method saved as much as ten seconds a shot ”“ and also sometimes helped save the fighters’ lives.”

I wondered if this information could have been correct? Unfortunately, the book did not document where the information came from. So I decided to test it out back then in the 70’s. Now of course I had not grown up putting ever larger size balls between the finger joints of my hand, but I was surprised I could hold .45 cal. balls there rather securely and it did work for shooting targets fast as in when boards stuck in the ground and teams of three to five shooters shot at it until the board broke below perpendicular. Everyone in the Team began with a loaded rifle and took turns firing at the board. As one shooter shot, he/she would fall back to reload while another Team member stepped up to the firing point and took his/her shot at the board. Firing would continue until one team broke the board first and won the match. However, this did not require moving quickly as one would expect to do in a fight or battle.

Since I could never find period documentation for this, I sort of kept this under my hat, as I have found way too many times that things published in the 1970's have been shown to be flawed or just plain wrong. However, I just ran across this when looking for something else.

“Jeptha R. Simms published an account of Nathaniel Foster, born about 1767 in Vermont, who became a much-noted hunter in the vicinity of Herkimer, New York, by the early 1790s. Foster is credited with an ability to fire six shots per minute with his rifle."

“While hunting he usually wore three rifle balls between the fingers of each hand, and invariably thus in the left hand, if he had that number of balls with him. He had a large bony hand, and having worn such jewels a long time, they had made for themselves cavities in the flesh which concealed them almost as effectively as they were, when hid in the moulds in which they were run from the fused lead. The superficial observer would not have noticed them.

Foster's quick shooting was in the days of flintlocks. He had a powder flask with a charger, and with six well pared balls between his fingers, he would pour in the powder, drop in a ball that would just roll down without a patch, and striking the breech of his gun with his hand, it was primed; soon after which the bullet was speeding to its mark. These rapid discharges could only be made at a short distance, as to make long shots it became necessary to patch the balls and drive them down with a rod, the latter being dispensed with the former case.19”

The Number 19 footnote is:

19. Jeptha R. Simms, Trappers of New York, or a Biography of Nicholas Stoner and Nathaniel Foster; . . . (Albany, New York, 1860), 249Ÿ50, as quoted in [The Engages], "The Long Hunters of New York," The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly 5(Summer 1989): 5Ÿ6.
http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/journal_wvh/wvh50-5.html

Unfortunately, this source document is 19th century, not 18th century. Does anyone know of an 18th century source document for holding the balls between the fingers for faster reloading?

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the 70s (except for those cursed plaid polyester shorts mom made me wear), but I have found that so much history published then (and earlier) tends to be questionable at best. Now, I THINK I have read period accounts of putting a ball in the mouth, pouring a likely amount of powder into the hand, then spitting the bare ball in, tapping the butt on the ground to set it all down. I have NO source for this, just fuzzy memory.

Gus I think you have come across what some folks call "historic shift".

You found an account of how one fellow speed loaded. It mentions the number of rounds, how they were held, the fact that the balls were not patched, that the touch hole was worn so that the shooter need only bang on the breech to prime the piece, that the distance he could accurately shoot was limited, and his name.

This was probably a true account. For example, I have found that I cannot shoot more than three patched balls without having great difficulty in ramming home the 4th, and I could never expect to be able to load 6 patched ball without having the rifle jam due to fouling. I have also seen muskets with worn touch holes that when shooting live with 2Fg are fine, but if you load with 3Fg and ram down a wad, you often find the musket has primed itself.

I submit that the author of your unsupported first account, either ran across the documented version, or it was orally relayed to the author by another party. The person passing the information on to the author made the mistakes of claiming every rifleman speed loaded in such a manner when it was probably the sole technique used by Mr. Foster.

Thus the story shifted, from a unique situation to "everybody did it this way".

LD

If it is true, then human nature would dictate others did it as well, due to its success and notoriety. Especially given the competitive nature of early Americans. It is easy to see a father passing to his son this tip/trick.

While this has nothing to do specifically with "speed loading", I normally load and shoot 30 to 40 rounds with no increase in force. To do this merely requires: #1. the right lube. #2. a rather snug patch/ball combo. This certainly allows greater flexibility in speed loading since seating pressure remains the same.

Stophel said:
I love the 70s (except for those cursed plaid polyester shorts mom made me wear), but I have found that so much history published then (and earlier) tends to be questionable at best. Now, I THINK I have read period accounts of putting a ball in the mouth, pouring a likely amount of powder into the hand, then spitting the bare ball in, tapping the butt on the ground to set it all down. I have NO source for this, just fuzzy memory.

I remember reading that as well, but it was in the context of flintlock trade guns used out west during horseback buffalo hunts. The butt of the stock was tapped on the saddle, instead of the ground, though.

Gus

TNGhost said:
If it is true, then human nature would dictate others did it as well, due to its success and notoriety. Especially given the competitive nature of early Americans. It is easy to see a father passing to his son this tip/trick.

If it was something commonly done in the 18th century, I would expect to see more accounts of it, or at the very least one or two good documented accounts of it. I would expect it to come in either the FIW or at least the AWI, as there was a fair number of riflemen who fought in the War. It could even come from Frontier/Bordermen who had to fight NA's.

Actually, I don't know whether or not there is any hope of finding an 18th century account of it. :idunno:

Gus

In the seventies stake shoots were common and many shooters held balls in their mouth to speed reloading. Not exactly good health practice but they did it and some of those shooters are still shooting! :idunno: :idunno:

If it was common, I'd expect the archaeologists would be digging up people with dents in their finger bones.

I have participated in a number of stake shoots. However, I always use a Brown Bess or a 20 ga smoothbore. Holding a .715 or .60 ball between the fingers is not something I would be able to do. Putting 3 or 4 ball in the mouth at once and spitting them one at a time down the barrel really does speed up the loading. Once as a check against whether I was doing myself any harm with this practice I had my family MD do a blood test for Lead. None was found. Considering that I worked in construction my whole life and was exposed to lots of toxic stuff I figure occasionally putting a few shiny lead ball in the mouth was no problem

You may be right, but the documentation did say he carried three balls in between the fingers of each hand when hunting. In the period he was hunting, he would not have needed that to hunt with, but he may have needed it in case he ran into hostiles while he was hunting.

Gus

Gus,
I, too, recall reading accounts of men holding the balls between their fingers for a quick reload, and it was in the context of the 18th century, F&IW and AR.

Was probably in an Allan Eckert book...yeah, I know, they're novels, BUT, they are closely based on the Draper manuscripts, so there is probably where the early accounts are to be found.

Lewis Wetzel, and others, were known for being able to load their rifles on the run, using a bare, round ball - just dumping powder from the horn down the bore, dropping the bare ball down the bore, bumping the rifle butt on the ground to prime the pan, and turning to fire into the breast of the pursuing Warrior. No accuracy needed. Wetzel died, presumably, of natural causes. His enemies were not so fortunate.

Richard/Grumpa

I'm no medical expert but I have a hard time believing that one could alter the actual shape of their finger bones so radically by holding musket balls between the fingers sporadically. I would think you would have to use quite large caliber balls and bind the fingers together with cloth or something, 24/7, over a long period of time to actually reshape the hand.

I could be wrong, but something about that just doesn't ring true. It seems more likely that maybe one or a few people simply got good at holding a spare ball or two between their fingers, especially if they happened to have the right sized/shaped fingers to begin with.

No argument there. Just a case of muscles and bones getting accustomed to maintaining the tension to hold onto the balls, without having to think about it.

Taping or binding the fingers would defeat the whole purpose of a quick reload.

this is an interesting thread! I am a bit skeptical, but, I've learned that sometimes things are true that seem far fetched...so I leave the possibility open. Would it not be just as quick to leave a loading block around one's neck with patched balls ready to push down a barrel? I am an absolute newbie, but doesnt seem like the finger thing would be worth all the effort when other methods would yield good results??

Daniel

In the case of Wetzel, his loading on the run was done while Indians were running close behind intent on killing or capturing him. A patched ball would have done him no good - he didn't need the accuracy, and didn't have time to use the ramrod. He just dropped the unpatched ball down the bore, turned and fired into the breast of his closest pursuer, who might have been just beyond knife or tomahawk throwing range.

Back