• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

18th-century accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the origin of the story where many years later Fess Parker portrayed David Crockett and after shooting, claimed he had not missed. Then someone else used a knife to pry out two perfectly round bullets from the hole, instead of the first bullet in the hole being squashed by the second. Can't remember which film that was in, though.

Gus

I thought that originally came from James Fenamore Cooper, Last of the Mohicans, Hawkeye did it, but didn't cheat.

Spence

Very well could be. I read that in 5th grade and have to admit I don't remember much from the actual book.

However, it was on the "Wonderful World of Disney" with Fess Parker, but I just can't remember what the episode name was.

Gus

ONLY pre 1990's Disney can be counted on as true. After all the money spent to obtain "flubber" for our special forces (still today hidden from the public) Disney kinda went nuts and started making films with some unbelievable stuff :nono:

WELL you guys what talk about how accurate 18th century rifles are one thing you got to remember they didn't have TV or computers for us to sit for 8 hours watching it instead they're looking at trees to see. What in it or what around it and the type of powder they use as We Know Swiss is hotter then goex so that I can be a factor to and they don't have so many guns that they can shoot each gun everyday for a month and not shoot the same one

flinter36 said:
WELL you guys what talk about how accurate 18th century rifles are one thing you got to remember they didn't have TV or computers for us to sit for 8 hours watching it instead they're looking at trees to see. What in it or what around it and the type of powder they use as We Know Swiss is hotter then goex so that I can be a factor to and they don't have so many guns that they can shoot each gun everyday for a month and not shoot the same one

:redface: Ya got something there for sure. I will be culling the herd real soon as I surely have several guns that have not seen action in 10-15 years :( Have NO CLUE what load they like. I'll be using Dutches system to choose the most accurate of the calibers and then selling off and getting at least one more NICE flint and/or smoothie. Probably and instead of or. I NEED a smaller caliber flint and also a trade gun of sorts. :hmm: I recall this thinking all along my "journey"

Good point on differences in period and modern powder, though going back to the 1773 letter from gunsmith Christian Oerter, the following part is important.

"She [the rifle] costs 8 pounds all together and with the powder @ 3 shillings per pound makes twelve shillings, for a total of L8.12.-. Because it is very good powder I have added two pounds more than you requested. I hope it will suit you well. "
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/1773 Letter from Gunmaker.htm

So here we have a documented example of different quality of black powder, even back then. Though the gunsmith doesn't mention it, I bet that was considered "Fine Grade" Rifle Powder.

Also, this was over a year before the British landed at Boston to begin the AWI and different grades/quality of black powder were still available.

We also know the quality of powder available to Americans during the AWI varied a great deal, depending on where it was made and probably the formula and granulation available. Powder that came directly from France or the Dutch were most likely the best powders, though perhaps not always in the right granulation.

Sure, they could have ground the powder finer in mortar and pestle, but most of them probably did not have powder screens to get a uniform granulation.

Of course after the AWI, they once again had access to both fine European powder and some American Powder makers really began to make good powder. DuPont began making some really good powder in 1802 here.

I have often wondered if period Riflemen may have or did change their powder loads to get the best accuracy, when forced to use a different powder than they were used to?

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
azmntman said:
ONLY pre 1990's Disney can be counted on as true. After all the money spent to obtain "flubber" for our special forces (still today hidden from the public) Disney kinda went nuts and started making films with some unbelievable stuff :nono:

I don't care what you say. I still believe in Jiminy Cricket.

azmntman said:

There was a nature program by Disney ("The Living Planet" (?)) that way later was found to have staged many of the so-called natural sequences. I think the main sequence was the lemmings dashing over the cliffs. Nope, we can't count on the veracity of Disney and mid 20th century accuracy is just not lways real.

Rifleman1776 said:
azmntman said:

I don't care what you say. I still believe in Jiminy Cricket.

I think it was Aristotle who said myth was better for people then facts. Long John, Ivanhoe, ol Tom Sawer have remained life long friends.

It seems curious to me that the rifleman would shoot at a coin ( presumably not some form of paper currency ) that would go flying off in some unpredictable direction and distance if hit, where it could be lost, making it impossible for him to recover his winnings.
Unless Blaine was willing to give the shooter ANOTHER coin to replace the one that was hit and lost if that were the case.

That sort of accurate shooting story is much more believable than most I have come across.
Several shooters on this forum have been able to do that sort of thing at one time or another.

Stophel said:
Shooters today are obsessed with perfect accuracy. If a gun, any gun, can't put 5 shots touching each other at a zillion yards away, it's total junk...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -Col. Townsend Whelen

Okay. Define accurate.

I'd say only accurate shooters are interesting. Most shooters can't shoot up to their chosen firearm's accuracy potential, regardles of ignition type, propellent, or type (rifle, pistol, shotgun). And those that can are impressive, due to being rare.

Back