• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1859 sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am not sure if this belongs in this forum but I would like to know how to do this. I have an 1859 sharps made by armi sport, I have heard about an O ring put in the rifle to help with the fouling. Where do I get the O ring and how do I install it. What would be a good mould to shoot out of this gun and what size dowrod would I need to roll cartridges

visit the Shiloh Sharps site.
they have a forum there that talks about these types of modifications.
[url] http://www.shilohrifle.com/[/url]

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the Shilo site and waited 10 minutes for their "moving picture show" to load..Could not find any forum, so I'll tell you what I know about what I believe is you question....

The fouling I believe your trying to reduce/eliminate has to do with the breech block getting tighter and tighter after each shot?...The result is that you finally can just barely drop the block...All the later orginal sharps percussion and I believe reprints have the "moving" breech block insert/cone setup that is suppose to move up tight against the barrel upon ignition and effectively seal off the chamber "almost" gas/fouling tight...They always leak some...

The operation of this orginal factory mod all depends on the fit of the parts and the ability of the cone section to move even after repeated shoots and use...I have had several percussion sharps, one a Shilo and they all foul/leak sooner or later...Just the nature of the beast...

Depending on the face material (quality and proper)of the breech block will determine how many shots with gas leakage can be had before the face errodes and really starts leaking because now you can't get anykind of seal...Later orginal guns had a circluar ring section of very hard/corrosion resistant material inlayed into the block face where it contacted the barrel chamber to take the gas leakage without shortly going to hell...This maybe the "O ring" you refere to...It is not rubber and is probably a fix by a gunsmithing operation to fix the erroded block face...

You need to remove the falling block...Soak it in water/black powder solv and loosen up the face plate...Keeping it very clean is I believe the only remedy...

You will also see at that time how the gas leakage is wearing away the block face...If it is even all the way around, atleast it was machined pretty close...If it is erroded in a partial moon section, it was not machined/fitted very well and will really start to wear in that area more and at the chamber interface...

Shilo's bullet is 500 grain plus flat nose and flat base bullet with two or three deep/square lube rings...It is seated with a starter rod from the breech....Let me know your address and I'll send you some to try... :winking: ...The Lizard...

Back