• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 buffalo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are fantastic hunting arms where legal. Back in the day I took a medium sized doe at 20 yards or so with the brass framed version, 12 inch barrel. 30 grains Pyrodex P and a .454 rb was PLENTY of gun. Perfect heart shot, she dropped in her tracks and flopped around a bit. Dead before she hit the ground.

The ball entered just behind the front leg, chipping a rib and tearing a very nasty hole through the heart. I couldn't find the ball until I skinned her, it had lodged against the skin on the other side, nearly exiting. It had deformed from hitting the rib and retained 100% of its weight.

If you intend to hunt with this revolver, practice and make sure your loads are uniform. Can be a very accurate piece and fill the freezer if you do your part...

The carbine versions are pretty sweet lookin. And yeah the steel frames can be loaded to 40+ grains just like the New Model Army :grin:

rodwha said:
I've thought it would make a nice thick brush carbine with the stock. But I'd want a steel frame.
Last summer I went into the thick brush with a .44 on a buttstock and was very pleased with how it felt. If you know the proper hold/stance and use it, it is a very good make-do carbine.

I have'nt taken deer with my 'buffalo' but have a wild/feral pig and another with my ROA
some years back I was woodsbumming with a shooting buddy and we did an impromptu power test. he carrys a 4" S&W .357mag.
we both shot into jack pine saplings. the 200gr Lee mold slug from my buffalo blew thru takeing a large chunk out the back w/it.
the 125gr sj slug from the .357 did not exit.

Sounds about right. I would put my 1858 Pietta up against any cartridge revolver in production for taking whitetails cleanly and humanely. That is under 35 yards of course. I've yet to try conicals in any of my pistols but have used them in rifles.
After seeing what a 141 grain round ball at 1100+ fps will do to wild game, I see no need to change my hunting load. :grin:
My state doesn't allow hunting with a cap n ball revolver although they allow the .357 and 44 magnums, stupid really since my Remmie will equal .357 energies when loaded properly.
I do a lot of hunting out of state and my load for 8 inch barrel is 40 grains Pyrodex P under a .454 round ball topped with T17 Natural Lube and primed with Remington #11s. Its hot buddy, think full on .357 kick and flash. With the 5.5 inch barrel it creates quite the flame out front. :)Usually back off a few grains in that short barrel though.

yes, I max the powder in mine when loading for real biz.
a 7.62x39 caseful of 3f leaves just enuff room for a waxed felt button and the slug.
I don't know how to calculate muzzle energy but it's got to be somewhere (likely a bit more than) near the 4" .357.

Blizzardof93, whats your powder of choice for full power loads? I'm set on Pyrodex P at the moment but also like Swiss fffg.

Timothy don't count out the brass frame, I love it and I have the steel as well.... For a little more money you can get the steel frame which will hold more powder but I've personally taken a whitetail with this exact model and 30 grains fffg + round ball. If you have the dough you can get the stainless version but its too shiny to hunt with imho. Steel frame is best but the brass is no joker...plus it looks pretty cool

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Sh...-44-Caliber-Revolver-and-Starter-Kit/4323.uts :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really like Swiss, and don't mind trying something new, buy a can of Olde Eynsford by Goex. They created it to be a higher performance powder to compete with Swiss, but is only $1/lb more at Grafs than standard Goex.

Swiss, Olde E, and Triple 7 all seem to give fairly similar results volume for volume.

That meat is red rich and delicous!Now i need to find those sites for mine.

DSC06917_zps6ce9ff9d.jpg

Thanks wish i could afford to shoot right now,hard to do in Ca.mostly have to go to the Sierras,i had to say goodbye to three family members in the last couple months.We don't have shops here to get C&B stuff.Would love to hunt with that thing.

If you really like Swiss, and don't mind trying something new, buy a can of Olde Eynsford by Goex. They created it to be a higher performance powder to compete with Swiss, but is only $1/lb more at Grafs than standard Goex.

From the Goex site: Olde Eynsford

Painstakingly crafted with only select grade materials and refined manufacturing process.

Match grade consistency and speed.

Uniform grain size allows shot to shot performance.

Seems they are marketing the powder to line shooters, not those who are trying to make magnum pistols out of BP revolvers.

The line shooters I know are after accuracy and minimizing recoil, they are not after higher performance and noise.

when I first began shooting c&b pistols DuPont powder was still available - but no more. it was good stuff.
now I use goex 3f, would try swiss if around here.
thanks to capandballhunter for the SA post.

Back