• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 pietta Navy revolver problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1851 navy 36 cal. Made by pietta. The cylinder is locking up on half cock. I took it apart and it seems like the arm of the bolt that is riding on the hammer cam is sliding off just before the trigger slides into the half cock notch on hammer. Do I need a new hammer or should I try a new bolt? Any advice would help. Thanks

As to the bolt dropping early it could be either the hammer cam or the bolt but more likely the bolt unless some gun smithing has been done to the hammer.
I don't see how that would cause the gun to lock up though it would just have the bolt riding on the cylinder until it reached the notch.
More detail and photos would be helpful.

Sounds like a cap fragment in the innards. Check to see if a piece of copper is not glued inside the hammer recess or to the inside of the hammer itself. Take it completely apart and give it a thorough cleaning. Once apart inspect the cylinder bolt "arms" and determine if it needs replacing.

20150329_121613_zpsyskjsy0g.jpg

[/URL][/img]

Took it completely down. Didnt find any caps or manure in there. When I put it together and cock the hammer the bolt slide off the hammer cam down the side of hammer before it goes to half cock.

It appears that the bolt may be worn.
This part is available at Taylor's and company for a wopping $8.

Sounds like a hand or ratchet star problem to me.
Does the cylinder rotate at all before it locks up? If so the bolt has been retracted and should ride the cylinder until it drops in the next notch but not lock up the cylinder.
By the way, your bolt needs to have all the sharpe corners stoned off so it won't gall into your cylinder.

Probably should explain a bit more. All that is needed on the bold corners to break and slightly radius all the sharp corners that will contact the cylinder. You do not want to change the width.
Then polish the top of the bolt nose where it rides on the cylinder.

Back