• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 navy unknown maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Just trying to figure out the maker of this 1851 I got off here not long ago. Appears to have been nickel plated at some point and stripped. Says made in Italy but nothing more aside from the black powder only and has some proofs. Nothing under the barrel behind the lever either. I have the original short barrel but swapped it for a Pietta. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What makes you think it was nickel plated?
Around the recoil shield and on the underside above the serial stamping as well as other tight corners, there were remnants of what appeared to be nickel over what appeared to be copper(need copper to adhere nickel to steel). You can see if you look closely in the pictures on the bottom of the shield and on the serial.

The letters PN stamped on these apparently are meaning black powder only, or that the barrels or the gun has been proof tested for black powder, you find this stamped on a lot of percussion revolvers but I don't believe I've ever seen it on a metallic cartridge black powder revolver.

This is the year chart of the year code numbers apparently these are on everybody's from ASM to pietta

IMG_20240425_062411.jpg

Last edited:
The BM is the Italian date code for the year it was proofed, 1999 in this case.
PN is the Italian abbreviation for Pulvere Nero or black powder.
The shield stamp signifies that the pistol was proofed at Gardone, Italy.

Back