• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1792 Contract Rifle Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcstephen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the best place for this question but...

On the 1792 Contract Rifle, what type of lock was used prior to 1803 when the locks were the standard Harpers Ferry Lock? I know that Jacob Dickert was involved in the design so would it be a Dickert style? Any thoughts??? Anyone with solid research??

Marc Findlay

Flaydermans states,

Locks varied in contour styling, being the early germanic type, typical Kentucky style lock. They were unmarked except for those made by Gumpf which bore large deep U.S. markings at it's rear. The Coxe correspondence mentions that the U.S Government was furnishing locks and that they were to be.....carefully and minutely inspected and the makers name to be marked on each rifle.

Flaydermans Guide (6th ed) also says of the 1792-1809 Contract Rifle:

"...It is also know from correspondence that some of these rifles were purchased without locks from the makers with same being furnished by the government. It is further known that 3,000 English made rifle size locks were purchased by the U.S. government in 1800 from Thomas Ketland and Company of London, England with at least 1,550 of these recieved that year.
It is believed that those locks bore the markings UNITED STATES as well as those of KETLAND & CO., but to date no rifles that may be considered as part of these purchases or contracts have been recorded..." (p 496)

zonie :)

but to date no rifles that may be considered as part of these purchases or contracts have been recorded..."

I didn't add the above because of this sentance. :v

Don Stith, who frequents the American longrifles board, is THE man to talk to about these guns.

Thats the one I will be having built as soon as I can afford it. I would like it built to be of the 1972-1794 Legionville, Fallen Timbers era.

Marc Findlay

I sent Don an e-mail and got a fast response:

The 1792/94 rifles used Germanic style locks in their initial production. The bulk of them were retro fitted with Harpers Ferry locks when they were issued for use in the war of 1812. You may already know they were 42 inch swamped barrels in 49 cal and maple stocked. The ones I have measured varied plus or minus 1/2 inch in barrel length. The Siler lock or L&R classic are probably the closest commercial locks for this use.
Don

1128 Stoney Battery Rd
Troutville ,VA 24175

540-591-9017

Marc Findlay

Don also sent me a second email address the Barrel:

Marc
The barrels were left in the white, reasonably well polished.
Don

1128 Stoney Battery Rd
Troutville ,VA 24175

540-591-9017

Marc Findlay

I needed The Contract rifle 1792 for my interesting in Corps of Discovery.Lock is from Harpers ferry 1803 by Antonio Zoli,Italy,patch box and mount by the same.barrel is from Spain and stock by my friend from Czech rep.
Obrazek4.jpg

Back